How My Disney College Program Roommates Became My Best Friends

Magical friends in a magical place.

62
Kaitlyn Nauth

When you hear the words “college roommates” a couple of things come to mind.

You are either plagued with fear and horror at the thought of having to live with someone you are in every way not compatible with or you have the happiest memories with a group of people you can call your friends. I got lucky with having an amazing group of people to live with!

Having never lived with roommates before I was excited and terrified to be living with roommates for the first time. Being awkward and shy I expected the process to be a lot harder than it was. Through the power of Facebook and Disney obsessions, I had all five of my roommates within a week of my acceptance letter.

In the Disney College Program, a common way for many CP’s to find roommates is by filling out roommate surveys on Facebook. Through these surveys, you come to find the things you have in common with other CP’s. This is helpful so you can request to live together when it comes time to put in requests for housing. On Facebook, I found one group that was specific for anyone 21 and older. This helped make the process easier for me since I was 23 when I did my program.

I spent months talking and planning with my roommates. We spoke every day leading up to move-in day. We all got along so well. It felt too good to be true. A lot of things in my life tend to be too good to be true which is usually a red flag. This time it was different.

As time went by four out of the six of us grew closer to each other since our schedules worked out to be able to spend time together. From going to parks to staying up late watching YouTube videos and ordering Domino’s we made memories that make me so happy to have.

When I went to work I would hear from other CP’s how horrible their roommate experiences were. Most of them were either fighting or moving apartments due to roommate disputes. I felt bad for them. I was so lucky that I got to go home to a group of people that I didn’t need to worry about avoiding or feel miserable around. While some of us had our quirks we were all able to get along. Just because we all got along so well doesn’t mean life was perfect. We were always fair with each other even when the worst offense was leaving the kitchen a little messy for too long.

The three roommates I spent most of my time with really helped make my program into the amazing experience it was. In the six months I have been home I have talked to these girls almost every single day. I am looking forward to returning to Disney for the first time since my program has ended, but most of all I can’t wait for the four of us to reunite in the place that brought us all together. These girls have truly become my best friends.