A Response To Dishonest Media And Fake News

The media this, the media that... but who are the media and what do they actually do?

15
Tim Robberts- Getty Images
"The media have become so dishonest that if we don't talk about it, we are doing a tremendous disservice to the American people." (President Trump, February 16, 2017)

So let's talk about them...

As of late, there has been a lot of discussion about the media and "fake news." Statements have been made that cast a negative light on the media. People everywhere are making snap judgments about the media based on the headlines alone, but few people consider who the media are and what it is that they do.

Who are the Media?

The media, in the sense that it is commonly used today, are the reporters and news organizations putting out stories about the happenings in the nation and world. The media are being used as a synonym for reporters or journalists.

Then arises the question of, who are journalists? In a sense, the answer is simple: journalists are paid and affiliated with an established news organization. But there are also citizen journalists who report on what is happening near them on social media platforms and blogs (like theodysseyonline.com).

So when you post about an accident that happened on the highway near you, or when you post about the local pizza shop shutting down, you are a journalist: a member of the media.

But if we are talking about the media that President Trump has been verbally attacking, we mean the professionals who get paid to uncover corruption and report the facts.

What is the purpose of the Media?

Look back on American history, and you will see that newspapers and pamphlets were catalysts in achieving our freedom from England way back when. They didn't just say that we should be our nation, but also discussed the corruption and lack of representation that was present in the government from our motherland.

Look back at Watergate. Two reporters dug up some dirt and uncovered corruption within our very own government. Had they not risked their careers on the story, the nation would never have known of the Nixon administration's misdeeds.

"Though it may be interesting or even entertaining, the foremost value of news is as a utility to empower the informed." -American Press Institute

The media exist to provide information to the public. The information can be trivial, like who made the dress that Beyoncé wore to the Grammys, or serious, like the recent fatal car bomb blast in Baghdad. The media tells us it all. They tell us what to think about. They also play a role in our government's checks-and-balances system. The media keep the public informed of the things happening behind the curtain while still keeping the government accountable for their actions.

What is "Fake News?"

How the information the media reports on is obtained and portrayed is essential for ethical journalists. The news we consume is assumed to be honest because of this standard for ethical journalists; at least it used to be before President Trump began verbally attacking the accuracy of today's news stations.

I know President Trump said CNN was fake news, but it's not (sorry to break the news to you). But he does have a point: there are fake news sites out there. Back in November 2016 a professor at Merrimack College released a google doc with a working list of fake news sites and the criteria for the list. Since then she has refined her list and created different categories that the sites fall into.

She qualified fake news as "Sources that entirely fabricate information, disseminate deceptive content, or grossly distort actual news reports." So President Trump, if you think CNN is fake news, please fact check them and provide the evidence that they are fabricating information.