Disadvantages Of Living The Middle Child Life

Middle children actually do things, too, you know.

4931

As I may not be the sole middle child of the family, I still live the life of a middle child. You may have heard of the middle child being compared to the forgotten child...or did someone fail to mention that? Advantages of a middle child are slim, but the disadvantages are through the roof.

1. We always get compared to the older sibling(s).

No matter what accomplishments we have chances are the older one did it first or did something similar to it. "Hey look, I did [insert greatness here]!" "Oh, I see, just like your brother/sister."

2. We are never the cute one.

Remember that cute thing you did or are currently doing...well you aren't the first one they've seen do it and you also aren't the last one that will do it.

3. There is no good line to get away with anything with the parents.

There is no, "But I'm the oldest" or, "But I'm your baby"

4. We are pretty darn good at arguing, but it gets us nowhere.

As a middle child we have to stand our ground. We are going to get made fun of no matter what, but we can't go down without a fight.

5. The younger sibling(s) tend to get away with more than we ever could.

This could also be seen as a disadvantage to the older sibling(s), but the parents will deny this is happening.

6. We are the scapegoat for the older sibling(s).

Whether it is messing with the younger sibling(s) and blaming us or being pushed out of the way running to eat dinner, we will always be the first target.

7. Chances are once the younger sibling is born we are the ones forced to share a room.

With me I never had my own room, but with most once the next one is born your room becomes an our room.

8. The older sibling(s) expect you to do just as well as they did.

No matter what it is we are expected to do just as well or better as the older ones otherwise we are some kind of disappointment.

9. The younger sibling(s) look up to you.

They must not realize that they can look up a little more to find the older sibling(s). We don't need this kind of pressure.

10. Everyone expects advice from you.

The older sibling(s) come for advice because they have no one more experienced. The younger sibling(s) come for advice because you have seen how it's done.

11. We do not easily get what we want.

The older sibling(s) get things because they are the test dummy. The younger sibling(s) get stuff because they will need it or all the other kids in the family have it. We get pushed back after the screw ups of the older sibling(s) and overlooked before the younger sibling(s) get it.

As frustrating as being a middle child can be sometimes, I wouldn't want it any other way. Middle children may get pushed around, but I think that is just how it is supposed to be. Even as the disadvantages overshadow us we can be the unexpected light from the middle.