The Differences Between Being A Freshman And A Senior

The good and the bad.

480

Being a senior and being a freshman are (obviously) different. They’re the worst and the best for so many different reasons. Nothing makes you more nervous than going off to college for your freshmen year. And nothing makes you sadder than having to leave about four years later. Your view on pretty much everything between freshman year and senior year changes drastically.

• As a freshman, you explore Urban Outfitters, Bed Bath & Beyond and the Target dorm aisles until you think your brain will explode and your half of the 10' x 10' space is perfect for you.
  • As a senior, you are willing to drive the streets perusing for couches left on the curbs and scout local Goodwills just to make an attempt at furnishing your house.
  • As a freshman, welcome week means RA-planned activities, open-door nights and trying to make friends between the hallways and the cafs. Cue drunkenly bonding with your roommate at your first frat party.
  • As a senior, welcome week means drinking as much as humanly possible with your absolute best friends because you only have one year left together and only one more welcome week. Cue sappy drunk conversations about how great you’re all going to make this year.
  • As a freshman, you buy all the textbooks before classes even start, as well as your school supplies, because you’re afraid of missing anything.
  • As a senior, during sylly week you’re lucky if you show up to class with a pencil and your dignity.
  • As a freshman, you’re thinking about going to the Greek welcome events and registering for recruitment or becoming more confused by how many people you see in “Go Greek” shirts.
  • As a senior, you’re showing the sophomores how to do door chants like a pro.
  • As a freshman, you’re trying all your possible connections to find a party to go to on a Thursday night.
  • As a senior, you can’t remember the last time you went to a party that wasn’t thought of as more of a “pregame” for the bar.
  • As a freshman, you sigh at the thought of cafeteria pasta for the fifth time this week.
  • As a senior, your mouth waters at the thought of not having to spend time cooking to eat a prepared meal.
  • As a freshman, you’re taking prerequisites but also adjusting to the work load of a college student. You’re not sure if your major is right for you but you know you have to start somewhere.
  • As a senior, you’re taking specialized classes that are specifically for your major. You’ve probably had on-site experience at least a few times and are applying for graduation or internships.
  • As a freshman, you’re applying for on-campus jobs for beer money.
  • As a senior, you’re applying for real-life jobs for … wine money.
  • As a freshman, people are creeping on your Facebook to see pictures of your last family vacation.
  • As a senior, everyone’s raving about your study abroad photos.
  • As a freshman, you occasionally run to Starbucks when you want to treat yourself with a flavored coffee.
  • As a senior, you stop at every coffee place you pass on campus and make a cup or two every morning. You usually take it black, that way it has more caffeine.
  • As a freshman, you’re proudly rocking crisp new school spirit apparel that your parents obsessively picked out for you when you made the decision to attend your school.
  • As a senior, you’ve accumulated more school spirit apparel than you can count over the years, and your favorites have been through countless tailgates, bars on game days, and possibly a few bad decisions along the way.
  • As a freshman, you’re meeting more people and making more friends than you ever thought you would going into school.
  • As a senior, you’re realizing who the realest and best ones are and embracing every last second with them.

Your first and last years of school have their ups and downs. But they are, after all, two of the best years of your life.