Do The Diamondbacks Have Enough To Compete For A Playoff Spot?

Breaking down the D'backs roster.

9

To decide whether the Diamondbacks have enough talent on their roster to make the playoffs, we have to look at three criteria: lineup, rotation, and bullpen. These are the three main components that makeup every Major League roster. Depending on how strong each of these units are for the D'backs will determine their success in 2020.

Lineup B+

The D'backs sport a very well-rounded lineup that is balanced offensively. At almost every position there is 20+ home run potential. Five players who are going to be on the roster in 2020 had at least 23 home runs last season. The middle of the lineup for the D'backs should be one of the most powerful in baseball with a combination of Starling Marte, Ketel Marte, and Eduardo Escobar. Starling Marte is a five-tool player that can hit for average/power, steal bases, and play elite level defense - which is why he has two Gold Glove awards to his credit. Eduardo Escobar has been a growing force in baseball the last three seasons - with his home run total climbing each year. It all culminated for Escobar in 2019 with a career-high 35 home runs and leading the league in triples. The man who is not starting to make waves, but tsunami's in baseball circles is Ketel Marte. The rising superstar and potential face of the franchise is coming off a year where he finished 4th in MVP voting. If he can continue on his pace, he will cement himself as a top-5 player in baseball in no time. The biggest concern about the lineup for the D'backs is regression. Because with so many guys having breakout or career years, it makes you wonder whether it was a fluke and if they can repeat it again in 2020. With the off-season additions of Kole Callhoun and Starling Marte to a growing D'backs lineup, I think they have enough offense to compete with most MLB teams not named the Dodgers.

Rotation B

This is definitely a grade that will need to be revisited at the end of the season. The D'backs have the pitchers with potential to get it done, only question is 'will they?' The D'backs addressed their biggest issue of not having a top of the rotation ace by going out and poaching Madison Bumgarner from division rival San Francisco Giants. Bumgarner still a workhorse, but on the wrong side of 30 and coming off the worst ERA of his career. Hopefully, the change in scenery improves whatever was lacking in his game the previous year. If he continues the downward trend, the D'backs chances to make the playoffs will follow suit. As for the rest of the rotation, its a mix of unproven arms and veterans. Zac Gallen, Luke Weaver, and Alex Young are three pitchers under the age of 26 who showed flashes being high level starters last season. All three of them had ERA's below 3.6 last season, only problem, they each had less than 15 starts to their name. If the three of them can do what they did in 2019 over the course of a full-season then the D'backs chances to go the playoffs will skyrocket. The X-factor in the rotation will be Robbie Ray. The strikeout artist is only a couple of season removed from an all-star appearance, but has seen his ERA go south since. If Ray can get back to 2017 form, he can be an upper echelon number two starter for the D'backs.

Bullpen B-

The biggest concern for me about the team is whether they have a pitcher I trust with the game on the line in the 9th inning. I don't know if the D'backs have the guy you can give the ball to in a 1-run ball game and say 'shut the door.' They have a nice mix of solid middle relief pitchers with Yoan Lopez, Andrew Chafin and the new off-season acquistions - Hector Rondon and Junior Guerra. Like Robbie Ray, Archie Bradley back in 2017 would have alleviated these fears of mine. He hasn't been on the same decline as Robbie Ray, but we saw his magical 1.73 ERA from 2017 sit in the 3.5's the last couple of seasons. Bradley is still a good reliever, but can he get back to being that guy that people feared when he stepped on the mound. The D'backs gave Bradley an opportunity to be the closer last season and he was solid, but unspectacular. All signs point to him getting first bite at the apple again in 2020, but can he seize the closer role and get back to the 2017 form? One pitcher who I would look out for as a possible breakout candidate and closer of the near-future is Kevin Ginkel. After sporting a career 2.6 ERA in the minors, Ginkel didn't miss a beat once he hit the majors, pitching to the tune of a 1.48 ERA in 24 innings pitched. Ginkel is a young stud, who I can see taking over the closer role if Bradley struggles. In totality, the D'backs have a nice bullpen with quality arms, but not dominant arms. There are not many guys in the D'backs bullpen that will strike fear in the hearts of the opponent.

Conclusion

The D'backs have enough talent to make the playoffs in 2020. They have all-star hitters with the 'Marte Partay,' they have a workhorse world series champion as the ace of their staff, and they have quality guys coming out of the bullpen. The D'backs don't have a lot of big name guys, or players with tremendously high ceilings, but they don't have wasted talent. A lot of their players know how to play to their strengths, making their floors extremely high. If the D'backs hitters can make their breakout seasons their normal, and a couple of their young pitcher realize their potential in 2020, then the playoffs will certainly be in reach. I think the D'backs will finish with 89 wins and one of the wild card spots.