Detroit City Football Club

DCFC Is More than a Club, It's A Family

Nothing will ever compare to what you will witness and be a part of at a Detroit City Football Club match.

461
DCFC Is More than a Club, It's A Family
Detroit City FC Facebook Page

Detroit City Football Club. It's not just a club, it's a family.

Detroit City FC broke out of the franchise system that is set up within US to form a grassroots movement that has grown to be a family. The team appointed the term "Supporter Built" after growth of the club resulted in supporters working to help fund renovations of Detroit soccers new home, Keyworth Stadium. Detroit City FC has also had a rally for Amanda, who is a huge supporter that was involved in a horrific accident during their playoff run.

The personal support that was given to her was incredible. Detroit City FC has grown from a little club into a driving force that has coverage and is well known across the United States and a ever-growing presence overseas. DCFC is fighting against the money system, Major League Soccer. More information about DCFC, as well as some visuals for what I talk about later in this article, can be found in this video:

I had the privilege of going to my very first DCFC match on May 25th. This was one week after they had a match against FC St. Pauli. The FC St. Pauli match was historic as it was not only Detroit City FC's first ever televised match but also was St. Pauli's first game and trip to the United States.

Everyone was first gathered in the street for pre-gaming with food, drinks, and overall fun. After hanging out and catching up with friends for a few hours before the match, City fans grabbed large flags and displays and held them proudly, readying to march in the street to Keyworth Stadium. Police blocked the streets so everyone could travel safely to the field. During the march, there was continuous chanting, clapping, and drum-playing. For a few minutes, the group stopped in the middle of the street where a man with a bullhorn spoke to hype everyone up before continuing on to the field.

Both at the end of the national anthem and at kickoff, smoke bombs were set off. Luckily, my friend had given me a scarf to cover my mouth with so I didn't breathe in the smoke. Anyway, it was an amazing sight. I was fortunate enough that my friend is one of the people who set off the smoke bombs, and I got to stand right next to him. I have never seen something like that before. It honestly was so amazing.

During the game, there was never a quiet moment. Drums kept the beat of every single chant, of which there were endless! A lot of chants were based on tunes from songs, so they were easy to keep up with, but all of the chants were original in their own ways. Like I said before, there was never a quiet moment, and I mean it. The chants went on continuously. There was also a super fun Tetris game, which is hard to explain other than for me to tell you to go to a game and experience it for yourself.

DCFC supporters proudly waved flags throughout the whole game. In each section, there was someone with a bullhorn leading the cheers, and their enthusiasm was like nothing I have ever seen. The crowd involvement was of the highest level I have ever experienced. I have been to football, hockey, baseball, basketball, and even other soccer events before, but nothing will ever compare to what you will witness and be a part of at DCFC. Take the crowd from every football game you have ever seen and multiply it by 100. THAT is DCFC. There really is a family love and atmosphere at these games, unlike anything.

Website

Schedule

Tickets

Follow DCFC!

Facebook

Twitter

Instagram

Vimeo

YouTube