10 Places You Have To Visit In Michigan This Summer

Summer is quickly approaching Michiganders!

61
Summit Post

Though it may not feel like it, summer is quickly approaching Michiganders and many other people around the world. As people pack their bags and prepare their necessities, they may be often stumped at where they could be headed for the summer months. For students, it means 3-4 whole months of figuring out what to do with their lives and avoiding boredom at all costs. Perhaps on the long list of activities to do during the summer are bonfires, local fairs and carnivals, and music festivals. For the people living in Michigan, it may mean visiting famous local hot spots or enjoying family and friend while hanging out by a lake. But sometimes it's hard to find out exactly what is good to see in Michigan. Here are 10 places that are worth the visit in Michigan during the summer.

1. Detroit Jazz Festival

This festival is at the end of the summer during Labor Day weekend, but it is still worth the visit. People can listen to various different jazz band from professional bands to high school bands who were fortunate enough to play at the festival. It is located in downtown Detroit and it is a good way to take in the sights and beauty of Detroit while listening to some great performances by jazz musicians young and old.

2. Presque Isle Lighthouse: Old and New

There are two lighthouses that are located in Presque Isle Michigan that have a rich history and offer a beautiful sight to see when climbed all the way to the top. Both the Old Presque Isle Lighthouse and its counterpart the New Presque Isle Lighthouse have beautiful views of Lake Huron and are beauties themselves. The old Presque Isle has been noted to be haunted, earning it the name of the Ghost Light. It allows someone to discover how a lighthouse keeper lived and the interesting history behind both of these magnificent lights.

3. Warren Dunes State Park

The Warren Dunes are located on Lake Michigan in southwestern Michigan and they offer a variety of activities including swimming, rock hunting, and climbing the dunes which tower above the average human. Climbing the dunes is a great way to get in some excercise and offers a stunning view of Lake Michigan to those who venture to the top. There are concessions there as well as places to wash off when done with the fun activities.

4. Hoeft State Park

This state park is located in Northern Michigan in Rogers City and it lies about ten miles outside the city itself. The park offers a plethora of options to choose from including swimming, picnicking, and biking. There is a bike trail that leads to the city where you can see the memorial the crew of the Carl D. Bradley, get some ice cream, or explore the city. If that doesn't suit someone's fancy then there is a lighthouse called the Forty Mile Point that someone is able to bike to or drive to.

5. Traverse City

This city is on the Northwestern side of the state and it is home to beaches, quaint and cute little shops, and a variety of historical places to visit while there. It is best known for the National Cherry Festival that it hosts and for the cherries themselves. The city is also close to the Sleeping Bear Dunes which are fun to climb and are beauties themselves.

6. Sturgeon Point

Another lighthouse, it is located in Haynes Township in Alcona county Michigan. The grounds of the light house are perfect for exploring and the lighthouse itself is set up like it would be set up when it was in use. Outhouse and all, it let's people explore and discover what it was like to grow up during the time period that it was in use. The Bailey's schoolhouse is also located on the grounds of the lighthouse and it is available to explore as well. There is also a trout farm near the lighthouse where one can catch their own fish and take them home to eat later.

7. Midland

Midland is a city located in the middle of Michigan and it is known for its parks and recreations but also its baseball teams. It is always fun to go and see the baseball teams play it out on a nice summer day. There are various events such as art celebrations and special days for kids in this city. It also has beautiful scenery and waterways.

8. Greenfield Village

Greenfield Village is located in Dearborn and it is a village put together and created by Henry Ford. It has a variety of historical houses, schools, and other buildings that one is able to walk through and visit. The village itself has a couple sections including a section called Parlors and Porches which has a variety of historical figures' houses. There are interactive activities at the village sometimes such as candle making. There is also a section called Liberty Craftworks where professionals are seen blowing glass, making items from tin, or other types of arts in the way that they did it back then.

9. Frankenmuth

Frankenmuth is Michigan's little Bavaria and during the summer many festivities that involve that German heritage are held. The city is a great place to walk around and take in the sites and smells of the German food and German looking places. It has a river running through it that is great to take boat tours on. Frankenmuth is also home to Bronners a year round Christmas store that is enjoyable to walk through when it isn't busy from the holiday season.

10. Mackinac Island

Famous for its fudge and the Grand Hotel, Mackinac Island is home to many different attractions and historical sites. There are several hotels on the island making staying there pretty easy during the winter months. The island is filled with historical sites such as the skull cave and a hill where soldiers have fought. Surround by Lake Huron and Lake Michigan, the views from Mackinac Island are beautiful.