Exclusive Interview: John Moran of VAYA ISLAND

Beyond just the t-shirts and jewelry.

638
John Moran

John Moran Founder and Designer of VAYA ISLAND started his company in 2014. After just two years of hard work and determination, VAYA is a popular up-and-coming brand making a sweep across not just United States, but other countries as well. The company based on positivity and living easy has a 30,000+ following on Instagram and is just getting started.

Why don’t you start off by telling us a little bit about yourself and how you started VAYA ISLAND?

The idea started with my obsession and constant need to be by the coast and the memories I shared with my friends and family on Cape Cod. After the summer going into my senior year of school in 2014 I decided that school year I was going to build a company that promoted a positive message, escapism and the live easy lifestyle we are known for now. So I sketched out the first logo in my stats class, taught myself Photoshop and Illustrator and started designing. I’d stay up basically all night sketching out designs and working on the website during the week after I finished all my assignments for class. I never was so excited to start something in my life. During that year I had my mind set on one thing. I basically took everything I loved about my time on Cape Cod; the feelings, the people, the beach, and applied it to the brand. I think the authenticity is why people really love us. Everyone can relate to living easy with the people they love.

Can you tell us a little about VAYA ISLAND and the products that you sell?
We sell jewelry, clothing and accessories all inspired by the islands.

What made you want to start your own company?

I love being free to create and sharing those creations with others. Its the best feeling when you know someone is feeling more confidant wearing or believing in a product or a message you came up with.

Where did the name VAYA ISLAND come from?

The word “VAYA” means “go” in Spanish. Its secondary meaning is to "live free”. Our coordinates are 18N 64W (St John Virgin Islands).

You must travel a lot, what are your favorite places to visit?

The Caribbean has been my favorite so far. I have so much love for the islands.

I see that some of your profits go to charity, what/who do they benefit?

Yes. When you purchase VAYA ISLAND products, you help preserve marine life and keep our oceans clean. A portion of every sale is donated to Oceana to help restore the ocean, help feed over 1 billion people with a healthy seafood meal every day, and contribute to preserve marine life.

What is your favorite shirt or jewelry piece that you have designed, and why?

My favorite is the Tortola Bracelet. Its simple, clean, and versatile. Its one of those pieces you can wear in a formal and causal setting. It looks great as a layering piece or worn on the wrist alone.

How would someone become an Ambassador for VAYA ISLAND and are there any benefits?

Ambassadors receive a sizeable discount on our products, are the first to know about whats going on with our company and new products that the VAYA ISLAND Team is developing. We also give them the opportunity to give input on new ideas for the brand and the chance of being featured on our social media pages. The program looks great on resumes especially for those pursuing careers in the fashion or in social media marketing. Many of our present ambassadors have achieved success in these fields. You can apply by filling out the form here! http://www.vayalifestyle.com/ambassador/

What is your favorite part about being a business owner?

There is no better feeling than knowing people are enjoying what you’ve created. To think something that starts out as an idea is being worn and loved by people all over the world is such an amazing feeling.

Tell us briefly what a day in the life of John Moran looks like.

Wake up, grab a coffee and head to work. I make a “To Do List” every night before bed. Its usually different day by day. Now I’m focusing a lot of my time on booking photographers/models and organizing dates for our campaign shoots for VI’s debut Resort Collection. Around 5:30 I’ll head to the beach to meet friends or family, go for a run just before sunset (its funny because this is when my creative juices really start flowing) then I’ll work until 1 or 2am answering emails, finalizing designs and speaking with my manufacturers.

If you want to check out the brand in more depth you can go to: vayalifestyle.com

You can also check them out on their various social media platforms:

https://www.instagram.com/vaya_official/

https://www.facebook.com/Vayaofficial

https://www.pinterest.com/vayabythesea/

http://vayalifestyle.tumblr.com/

https://twitter.com/Vaya_Official