What If Cancer Was Treated Like Depression?

"A diagnosis is burden enough without being burdened by secrecy and shame." — Jane Pauley

415
Distractify

Close your eyes, and imagine you or a loved one has just been diagnosed with cancer. When informing others of the devastating news, they just get laughed at and are told their disease isn't valid. In addition to having this deadly disease, they now have to deal with all the shame and negative stigma that is attached to it. This causes them to become sicker and sicker. They scream for help only to be ignored. They are automatically labeled "freak" or "attention seeker" by society. They are ridiculed by everyone, although their illness is beyond their control.

"You don't actually have cancer. It's all in your head. Stop complaining. This is just a phase. You'll grow out of it. Just think happy thoughts. Grow up; millions have it worse than you and they don't complain. You have food, fresh water, a roof over your head.. You have such a great life. How could you possibly have cancer? You're so selfish.. There are children starving in Africa and all you think about is yourself. You're just weak. Get over it already and stop being a baby."

Now do you see just how wrong that is? Cancer patients have no control of their cancer, nor do individuals with depression. The only difference is the body parts in which the disease lingers. People seem to forget that. They are both very real, very valid and very terminal diseases. Cancer is the disease of the body, and depression is the disease of the brain. Simply because the illness is mental does not make it any less real.

According to the Anxiety and Depression Association of American, 3 to 5 people suffer from chronic depression at any given time. Only half of those individuals will seek treatment. Failure of rejection and ridicule is what keeps these people from seeking help. They are terrified of how the world may perceive them, so they just hide in fear. Just like any other illness, the end result could be devastating if left untreated. Suicide is the one cause of death that 100 percent preventable; so why are so many people dying from it?

Depression is a chemical imbalance in the brain — not a choice. Individuals don't have any control of their brain chemistry and although they may be able to do things to reduce their depressive feelings, it's beyond their control. Depression is not their fault. And just like how cancer does not define those who have it, neither does depression. Even though it is one part of them, it is not their entire being.

Quite recently, I lost a loved one due to suicide and it deeply saddens me to know that it could have been prevented. They would still be here today if they didn't feel so much shame and got the help they needed. The stigma attached to mental illness causes individuals to isolate, and continue to spiral downward. The constant battle against your own mind is one pain that nobody should ever endure, yet so many people do. Too many beautiful souls are being taken from this world far too soon.

There needs to be a change, and we could be the ones who provide that change. Please; take this knowledge and learn from it. Apply it to your own lives. Help break the stigma. You may be saving a life.