signs of depression
popular

10 Small Signs Your Depression Is Getting Worse

Little clues you're starting to slip back into a darker state and how to combat it

4596
https://images.unsplash.com/photo-1487087850479-4792f4bdb5de?ixlib=rb-1.2.1&ixid=eyJhcHBfaWQiOjEyMDd9&auto=format&fit=crop&w=1353&q=80
https://images.unsplash.com/photo-1487087850479-4792f4bdb5de?ixlib=rb-0.3.5&q=80&fm=jpg&crop=entropy&cs=tinysrgb&w=400&fit=max&s=67d52ab51aa3f0d9a3b1de566d1c9f48

Depression is an illness that can never truly be cured. Many people experience cycles where they will be feeling mentally healthy and stable for a period of time and then they begin to slip back into a depressed state. Depression is different for everyone, but we often experience some common symptoms which can be red flags that things are getting worse instead of better. When we begin to notice these various clues, it's important to remember to take care of ourselves, seek support, and prepare for whatever our illness decides to toss our way. These might even be things you notice in your friends! Here are ten small signs that our mental health is slipping and ways to fight it along the way.

**IMPORTANT: Remember to take your medication! If you are experiencing issues with your medication, contact your doctor immediately! They are there to help you, and a resource you should definitely take advantage of. **

1. You are constantly tired

One of the biggest signs in spotting a depressive episode is understanding your sleep patterns. Personally, I know things are getting worse when I constantly feel exhausted. I can do a few small tasks and feel like I could sleep for a few hours. I've definitely missed a few classes simply because my body was begging for sleep. Depression is a battle! Your body is working overtime to try and fight it. If you feel like you want to rest, try taking a small nap (emphasis on small), or just curling up with a book or watching a movie to relax.

2. You experience insomnia or oversleeping

Just like constantly feeling exhausted, not being able to sleep and/or sleeping too much can also be a sign that your mental health is taking a turn for the worst. It can be difficult to fall asleep when your emotions are all over the place or if you're also anxious. If this appears to be a problem for you, try taking melatonin, listening to classical music or nature sounds, or setting up a before bed routine to allow your body to settle down. Oversleeping can be harder to combat, however, I find it helpful to find one small thing that will help get me up in the morning, like treating myself to Starbucks, or looking forward to something that is going to happen that day, no matter how small!

3. Your appetite changes

Just like insomnia and oversleeping, appetite changes can go to either extreme. Some people find themselves eating an excessive amount of food (mine is usually junk food) whereas others don't eat at all. If you find yourself overeating, try switching to a healthier snack to combat the excessive sugars and sodium that can have some impact on your mental health. If you aren't eating, try to eat foods that are light on the stomach. Some of my favorites are toast, soup, or some fruits/vegetables.

4. You begin to isolate yourself

When you feel depressed its easy to slip away from others, shut them out, and spend too much time by yourself. While it can be relieving just to be on your own, it isn't healthy to spend so much time alone. Something I like to do when I'm not feeling well is to do something simple with a friend. For example, curling up and watching a movie with a friend (try a comedy!) makes me feel better, or going shopping (just don't get stuck on retail therapy like me!). No friends available? FaceTime your mom!

5. Your room is messier than usual

While my room is generally not the most organized, it becomes significantly worse once I start spiraling into depression. My clothes are all over the floor, there's a lot of water bottles and cups everywhere, my blankets are tossed about, and I can't find things I need to when I'm in a hurry. My tip for managing the clutter is to do one small area at a time. Personally, making my bed is not something I do every morning, but if I convince myself just to clean up that one spot, I feel like I accomplished something and that's something to be proud of. Whether it's your desk, your wardrobe, or your bed, just start with a small corner!

6. You don't take as many showers

A lack of personal hygiene is a huge clue in understanding your mental health. When you feel emotionally heavy, it's hard to take care of ourselves. This includes taking less showers, not wanting to brush your hair, and finding it difficult to do laundry. Personally, I love to do my makeup, so once I stop caring about my appearance, I'm often found in a messy bun and my favorite sweatpants. To help keep yourself clean, try taking a relaxing bath instead! If that isn't your style, try something new in your personal care routine. I like to put on a face mask or pore strip (clean pores are happy pores!), use a new scented body wash, and shaving my legs. I promise that once you're all clean you'll feel much better than before!

7. You have a lack of motivation

If you're a student like me (or if you work full time), you probably feel this to be especially heavy too. It can be hard to get up and study when you just want to push off all your assignments for the last minute possible. Maybe the task is as simple as getting out of bed, doing your laundry, or running errands. Whatever the case may be, I like to make a checklist because it works as a visual organizer so that I can cross things off as I go. Do one thing at a time, and then reward yourself once you finish a task!

8. You don't seem to care about things that you used to

We all have hobbies and things we enjoy doing. For me, I love playing instruments, writing, and spending time with my friends and family. When I get depressed I never want to pull my saxophone out of its case, I don't feel like writing, and I'd rather be alone in my bedroom than with my friends. It's as if I simply don't care anymore. This one isn't something you can simply fight, but sometimes it can be helpful to have a friend to do things with. Ask a friend to go for a walk or go shopping! Getting out and doing something different or out of your routine can help boost your mental health and let you hang out with someone who supports you!

9. You are irritable

You're crabby. You know exactly what I mean. You lost your keys, you forgot to study for a test, your roommate said something that made you mad. Whatever little thing it is, you're sure to be angry about it. While this often plagues me during depressive episodes, I can't say I've found a good solution for this quite yet. The best advice I can give is this: take a deep breath, cool down, and reset. Once in a while I like to write it down which helps me visualize my quick reactions and emotions. Whatever you do, don't tweet about and don't put it on your "finsta", you're sure to feel embarrassed later.

10. You cry often

This one is super relatable and extremely common. To be honest, the solution to this one, is cry it out. Letting your emotions out through tears is sometimes the best way to cope. Cry it out, and then eat some ice cream and binge watch New Girl.

Depression can be overwhelming, but being able to manage these little signs are key to getting to know the way depression affects you. Noticing these things in others and caring for them is also important in defeating stigma and creating a community of love and support. Most importantly, remember that things WILL get better again, everything just takes time.

To read more about the daily life and journey of a depressed college student, check out my blog: Depressed And Blessed