Demi Lovato Ridiculed For Talking About Mental Health Issues

What does criticizing her for speaking out say about society?

165

If you’ve listened to the radio for more than 20 minutes sometime in the past two years, you’ve probably heard one of Demi Lovato’s catchy, pop-rebel tunes. She is a former Disney star turned spunky singer/songwriter who has become a household name over the last few years. Now, Demi is also becoming well-known as an advocate for self-love and positive body image.

In 2010, Demi Lovato was admitted into a rehabilitation center for an eating disorder and self-harm tendencies. Since then, she has opened up about her struggles through many mediums, including Twitter, interviews and documentaries. Demi has been extremely open with the public about her struggles with eating disorders and self-harm, and apparently according to some, she is oversharing.

In Demi Lovato’s interview with "Allure" Magazine for their February 2016 edition, she explains the negative feedback she has received from some of the public about her advocacy and openness about her struggles. She told "Allure," “I'll have people who are like, 'Stop talking about eating disorders. Like, we get it. You struggled. Now shut up.'" Of course, Demi, now being the confident and independent role model she is, says she is not letting the negativity get to her because she knows her message is helping people.

According to the National Eating Disorders Association, over 30 million people in the United States suffer from eating disorders, and that statistic is only recognizing those who have come out and admitted they have suffered. Also, according to ABC News, 1 in 12 teens have admitted to practicing self-harm-- usually by cutting or burning themselves. These issues are very real for a massive number of Americans, and to ignore them or whisper about them shows the immorality and apathy still prevalent in society.

Demi Lovato took a horrible and dark part of her life and decided to share it with the world to promote confidence and self-love. She is not only intensely brave, but she should also be considered an inspiration and role-model to all, regardless of each individual’s specific personal struggles and issues. If we criticize an individual for actively trying to help others through their problems by revealing intensely personal information about herself to the entire world, what does that say about us as a society?

Everyone has their own struggles, but unfortunately, talking about these struggles has not yet become a socially acceptable act, apparently so much so that people feel the need to shame those who do speak up.

Of course, not every member of society has such a negative outlook toward speaking up about mental health, but the sad truth is the majority of these conversations are either whispered or left unspoken altogether.

Mental and emotional disorders are a very real part of life for a vast number of individuals, and individuals, such as Demi Lovato, who speak up and encourage others to seek help and love themselves are both courageous and admirable. She is one of the few celebrities in Hollywood promoting this message, and is particularly influential because of her young audience. It is imperative that we, as a society, start talking about issues regarding body image and mental health, and I enthusiastically applaud Demi for getting the conversation started.