Delos Greece - The Best Things To Do In Delos

Continue Reading!

18
Delos Greece

We all know Delos is one of the most famous ancient Greek sites, but did you know there are so many other fun things to do in Delos Greece? Check out our list of the top things to do in Delos Greece!

Delos Greece is one of the most beautiful places in the world. It’s one of those places where you can spend hours just looking around, soaking in the history.

It’s also a great place to visit if you’re looking for a vacation that has a lot of cultures, architecture, history, and relaxation.

Delos Greece is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and is known for its temples, statues, and ruins. It’s also a great place to hike around and explore.

Archaeological Site of Delos

Delos is an island in Greece, located in the Saronic Gulf. It’s famous for its archaeological site, the Temple of Apollo, which dates back to the 6th century BC.

The island has been inhabited since at least the Neolithic Period. It was also the site of the Battle of Salamis during the Greco-Persian Wars.

The island is part of the municipality of Kythnos, which is part of the regional unit of South Aegean.

Archaeological Museum of Delos

The Archaeological Museum of Delos is a beautiful museum that holds the largest collection of artifacts found in Delos.

The museum is housed in a beautifully restored neoclassical building. It houses a wide variety of artifacts, including sculptures, pottery, coins, and jewelry.

There are a number of amazing things that you can see, including a stunning mosaic floor from the 2nd century BC. There are also ancient coins, pottery, and other items that help us better understand the ancient history of Delos.

The museum also has many other exhibits, including a huge collection of amphorae, vases, and other ceramic objects. There is even an interactive exhibit that allows visitors to “read” an ancient book.

The museum is a must-see for anyone visiting Delos.

Terrace of the Lions

A view from the terrace of the lions at Delos.

One of the best places to visit in Delos is the “Terrace of the Lions.” It’s a large terrace where you can enjoy a spectacular view of the island.

This terrace is located at the back of the Delos museum. You’ll find it right before you exit the site.

To get here, walk to the far end of the main road. Turn left at the “Terrace of the Lions” sign.

If you go on a clear day, you’ll see the Acropolis on the horizon. If you want to enjoy this view from the top of the terrace, you’ll need to pay to enter the terrace.

There are two ticket options, one for the terrace itself and one for the museum.

You can also get a combo ticket that includes both. However, if you have a deluxe ticket, you won’t need to pay for the terrace.

Mount Kynthos

Mount Kynthos is a mountain that overlooks the island of Delos. There are a few ways to get there, but we’ll start by taking a bus from Athens.

When we get off the bus, we’ll head to the port to take the boat. The boat ride is approximately 2 hours long.

You can also get there by car, but that would be a more difficult journey.

We’ll be walking around a few of the main ruins, and we’ll end up at the top of the mountain, where there’s a café.

Sacred Lake

There are many lakes in Delos Greece, but only one is sacred. You’ve probably heard of the story of Jason and Medea. Jason was the hero of the Argonauts, and Medea was the princess of Colchis.

When he went on his quest to find the Golden Fleece, Jason slept with Medea. As you know, it didn’t end well for him, and when he returned, she turned into a snake.

The legend of Medea is what made the lake sacred.

Temple of Isis

One of the best places to see in Delos Greece is the temple of Isis.

This is a large temple complex, built in a Greek Revival style. You can find this at the end of the island’s main street.

The temple of Isis is the best preserved of all of the temples at Delos. It was built from the 5th century BC to the 3rd century AD.

It was originally built to honor the goddess Isis. During the Roman Empire, the temple was dedicated to the Roman goddess Liberty.

The temple is made of white stone and is covered in red paint.

There are two main entrances to the temple, one on the east side and one on the west side.

The eastern entrance is a beautiful wooden door with marble carvings.

The western entrance is a grand archway.

Inside the temple, you’ll see a statue of the goddess Isis.

You’ll also see the remnants of a columned courtyard.

There are many other statues of Isis, and they’re all covered in dust.

Avenue of the Lions

The Avenue of the Lions is a must-see attraction when you visit Delos. It’s the only avenue that’s completely intact, and it’s lined with sculptures that were created from marble, bronze, and gold.

The sculptures are all of the famous characters and mythological gods, and they were originally made to commemorate the victories of the Athenians.

House of Cleopatra

As you probably already know, Cleopatra was the last queen of Egypt. She ruled from 51 BC until her death in 30 BC.

Cleopatra was born in 69 AD and was the daughter of Ptolemy XIII and Queen Cleopatra III.

She became queen after her father died. The story of her rise to power is well-known, but what you may not know is that she was the last queen of Egypt.

When she died in 30 BC, she left no children. So the Egyptian Empire fell to Rome.

Read the content to know all about Delos Greece