The Definitive Ranking Of The 12 Best Will Ferrell Movie Characters

He's kind of a big deal

611
Filmfad

Will Ferrell is a comedic genius and has been in countless memorable movies and TV shows making audiences laugh. He’s appeared as guest characters in various television series, like The Office and Eastbound and Down, and loaned his voice to animated features, such as Megamind and The Lego Movie. He also is known for his memorable Saturday Night Live characters – George W. Bush, Alex Trebek, and Gene Frenkle the cowbell player, among many others. His success and hilarity transferred to movies and he’s played some of the funniest characters in comedy history.

12. Cam Brady in The Campaign

The best politician Will Ferrell has played is George W. Bush. With that as the standard, his portrayal of North Carolina Congressman Cam Brady falls short. That being said, the character is nevertheless entertaining with the ridiculous scenarios that he finds himself in amidst his campaign.

11. Kevin the mattress salesman in The Internship

Kevin is so low on the list because of his brevity in the movie. He only appears in one scene that only lasts a few minutes, but he is hilarious and it is one of the best scenes in the movie. The character has a neck tattoo that means “Make reasonable choices.” How could he not make the list?

10. Allen Gamble in The Other Guys

Allen Gamble is a nerdy and endearing detective that is down right funny at times. He plays an important role to counter Mark Wahlberg’s character and the dynamic they have is hysterical.

9. Brennan Huff in Step Brothers

Brennan is not so much a classic character as Step Brothers is a classic movie. Comedy wise, this is one of Ferrell’s best performances. But, there’s nothing inherently memorable about the character of Brennan himself so he ranks low on the list.

8. Chazz Reinhold in Wedding Crashers

As in The Internship, Ferrell’s screen time in Wedding Crashers was very small. However, this is one of the most famous cameos in recent movie history. The scene where he makes his entrance is one of the main scenes that people remember and love from the movie.

7. Mugatu in Zoolander and Zoolander 2

Mugatu is a legendary villain that at the same time is downright hilarious. His ridiculous hair, outfits, and canine companion are not easily forgotten by viewers and have become synonymous with the movie, right along with “Blue Steel.”

6. Frank Ricard in Old School

Frank "The Tank" Ricard is by far the best character in the movie. He is crazy and endearing and all around hilarious. The scene of him streaking is iconic and he is responsible for most of the funny moments in the movie.

5. Chazz Michael Michaels in Blades of Glory

Ferrell plays a legendary figure skater fallen from grace who is attempting to reclaim his title and esteem. Chazz Michael Michaels is hilarious in the movie and his relationship with his figure skating partner Jimmy MacElroy is pure comedic brilliance.

4. Jackie Moon in Semi-Pro

Jackie Moon is an icon in the movie Semi-Pro. He’s a former signer who now owns, coaches, and plays on a basketball team. The image of Will Ferrell rocking an afro and short shorts is not one that is easily forgettable.

3. Buddy the Elf in Elf

Elf has become one of the most popular Christmas movies and one of the most frequently quoted movies. Ferrell’s portrayal of Buddy is classic and is without a doubt one of his best known roles.

2. Ricky Bobby in Talladega Nights

With the success of Step Brothers, Talladega Nights sometimes gets overshadowed. But it shouldn’t. In addition to the movie being great, Ricky Bobby is a hilarious character and one of Will Ferrell’s best.

1. Ron Burgundy in Anchorman and Anchorman 2

The whole title of Anchorman is Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy. This character is legendary both inside and outside the movie. Rob Burgundy is one of the most recognizable characters and he truly is Ferrell’s best work. As Burgundy himself says, “I’m kind of a big deal.”