Defeating Boredom Over Break

Defeating Boredom Over Break

Here's a few things to fill the hours between lying in bed all morning and crawling back under the covers at night that make up the days of UD winter break.

6
Defeating Boredom Over Break

As friends are gearing up to go back to school or heading back to Delaware for winter session, the rest of us UD students are preparing ourselves for another month of sitting on the couch with Netflix, chocolate, and our fuzziest socks. The boredom will eventually set in, and most of us will be in need of some ideas for how to pass the time before spring semester rolls around, if only to get you off the couch for some reason other than grabbing another bag of chips to accompany your sixth hour of Black Mirror.

1. Exercise.

Yes, it’s easier said than done, but with the start of the new year and more time on your hands than you know what to do with, there’s no excuse for spending all day staring at your computer. Go for run, do yoga, anything to stay fit before the inevitable late night pizza deliveries and beer drinking of spring semester truly destroy any hopes of “staying healthy.”

2. Go to the movies.

There’s always millions of good movies coming out around the holidays. Passengers, Collateral Beauty, and La La Land are just a few to add to your list. It’s definitely a better alternative on a rainy day to staying home in pajamas for the third day in a row and the student discount is worth taking advantage of while you can.

3. Take a day trip.

If you’re lucky enough to be near New York or Philly which so many of us UD students are, then there’s no need to fill you in on all the activities the city has to offer. Go shopping, get lunch, or just walk around, anything to break up the days.

4. Spend time with your family.

The last couple weeks of break are one of the few times you get to be home, without being constantly torn between family and friends because they’re all already back at school. Take the time to go on a shopping trip with your mom or spend a day at home simply in the same room as your parents. Watch Netflix together instead of watching Gossip Girl alone for the 3rd time. Take advantage because t’s so rare that you get to just relax together.

5. Try out new recipes.

Knowing that shortly you will have the limited options of the dining hall and the limited contents of a college student’s wallet paying for your food. The lack of snacks found at home and lack of ingredients or even a kitchen to make anything more than microwave mac and cheese means you should take advantage of making meals that taste good. Free time, access to fresh food and an actual oven are all good reasons to hone your cooking skills that you will no doubt need in the future.

Enjoy the much needed break to prepare for the craziness of spring semester!