Declaring War On New Year's Resolutioners At The Gym

227

I'm just going to go ahead and say it, if you're one of those New Year's resolutioner's who make their way to the gym for a few weeks in January then vanish, we the regulars at the gym, hate you. Why? Because you take up space, and steal our machines. You think you're going to work off your years worth of drinking and eating in a few weeks. Sorry, but that's not how it works. Now, if you don't fall in this category then give yourself a pat on the back, you've earned it. I have no problem with you guys making a serious effort, but you can't give up! That's what makes us hate you.

You know the old saying, "all good things take time"? Yeah, it takes time for you to start seeing results. You aren't going to go through major body changes overnight, although, if you are I want whatever you are taking. You're probably asking yourself, "who are you to be calling us out like this?" Well, I'm a guy who has completed a half-marathon, six 10-mile races, three 5k's, two mud races, and one 10k race. Plus I lost almost 20 pounds due last summer from my dedication to the gym. So I know a thing or two about weight loss and getting into shape. But this isn't about me, this is about you who can't seem to stick with a workout routine. Now, I'm not saying that you have to go hardcore for two hours every day, but a little activity will do. Is it hard to find the motivation? Yes, it is. But if you want something bad enough, you have to work for it.

Here are some things you can do to make your New Year's resolution of losing a few extra pounds, or gaining muscle work for you:

1. Start walking/running

Nobody likes running, so if running is your Achilles heel, well then walking will be for you. But for those of you crazy enough to actually enjoy running, well then stick with it. You don't have to be out there for hours on end, but a short little 15-20 minutes can make a world of a difference for your health.

2. Start a workout routine

You're no bodybuilder or a power lifter. You probably can't put up as much weight as you used to back in the glory days when you could have gone D-1 but you blew out your knee. So let me say this, START WITH LIGHT WEIGHTS. I cannot stress this enough. You are not as young as you used to be. You will hurt yourself if you try to do too much too soon. Start with light weights and higher reps if you have to. There is no shame in that at all. Once you start to get the hang of it again, that's when you start to get into heavier weights and lesser reps. But be careful to not get stuck in the same workout routine. That's when you begin to plateau and results will become less noticeable.

3. Change up your diet

You aren't young and your metabolism isn't what it used to be. This means you can't eat/drink what you want anymore. You have to be conscious about what you are putting in your stomach. McDonald's, Taco Bell, and other fast food chains are a big no no. Instead, make your own food. Drink water instead of pop (soda), have a vegetable with every meal, eat more chicken (grilled NOT fried), and definitely cut back on the consumption of alcohol. Trust me, you'll feel a lot better and you'll see the changes that you want.

4. Go to sleep earlier

When you are more rested, you will have more energy to go about your daily routine. Getting 7-9 hours will help prevent that wall that everyone seems to hit around 3 p.m.

5. STAY AWAY FROM CROSSFIT

Just don't get roped into their "lifestyle" and paleo diet bulls**t. If you want scoliosis, and to look like you're convulsing while you're working out, be my guest. But when your back "is as crooked as a politician", don't come crying to me, because I'll be the first to say I told you so. Nobody likes a cross fitter, so don't be that person.

So in conclusion, if you're going to go to the gym to start your new year off right, be sure to stick with it. I promise you, it will pay dividends in the end. You will feel a whole lot better about yourself and life in general. Enjoy your new year's. Kiss somebody at midnight. And as always, #NewYearNewMe