4 Reasons I Decided That My Childhood Dream Of Becoming A Doctor Wasn't For Me

Sure, I may have told everyone growing up I wanted to be a pediatrician, but what did I know about the adult world at the time?

64
Photo by Amina Filkins on Pexels

Growing up, everyone has their dream job that they always say they want to do when they get older. For most people, I'd say it changes over time and develops as they grow into the person they want to be and discover new interests and passions. I was different in the sense that I always said I wanted to be a pediatrician, just like my own doctor.

I loved her, and I was always very intrigued by all of the tests, equipment, and evaluations doctors preformed during a visit. So, it makes sense that when I started to apply to colleges, I applied with the intended major of biology and pre-medicine.

However, once I actually started taking classes and got the feel for how college was going to be, I started to doubt that my dream job was really my dream job for multiple reasons. Here are four reasons I changed my mind about what I wanted to do in the future.

1. The amount of time it takes to become a doctor

Yeah... if I'm being honest, this was a huge factor in my decision to no longer pursue medical school. The more I thought about graduating from college at 30 years old, the less appealing it became. I like school, and right now I don't mind it, but I just can't imagine my 20's completely taken over by stressful classes and residency.

2. The cost of medical school

Yikes. If you thought four years of undergrad was expensive, imagine paying to go to school for at least four years after that and then attending a four year residency program. Sure, there are definitely options in regard to other ways to pay (loans, scholarships, etc.), but watching the debt multiply from 18 to early 30's sounds absolutely terrifying.

3. The insane schedules

Although this isn't always true, doctors tend to have a more demanding and time-consuming schedule. If you become a physician, a lot of your life is dedicated to medicine and your work. There isn't much flexibility and it's hard to pursue other life goals. There is a lot I want to see and do, and I think a different job will make it easier for me to achieve all of my goals in AND out of the workplace.

4. The commitment to a specific area of medicine

As a person with a lot of interests as far as medicine goes, the idea of having to commit to a specialty and pursue it was difficult. Burnout is a huge fear of mine, and I decided that maybe getting into the medical field as a physician would quickly exhaust my love for the job.

Overall, everyone has to make the decision that is most realistic and beneficial to them. I have decided to pursue my new dream of becoming a physician's assistant. That job will allow me to experience many different areas of medicine throughout my career while having more job flexibility and less schooling for a cheaper cost.

I am genuinely excited to see where this new journey takes me, and I'll be sure to share my experiences as I learn and grow.