Dear Mr. Turner

Dear Mr. Turner

You failed Parenting 101, How to Be a Human Being 210, and Teaching My Son to Be a Man 375.

5
Dear Mr. Turner
US Magazine

Dear Mr. Turner,

You are the worst possible example of what a man and a father should be. You're worse than a deadbeat. You and your son are both sorry excuses for human beings and I want to tell you why.

I am someone's daughter. My sister is someone's daughter. The victim of your son is someone's f*cking daughter, and you want us to believe that your son is a kind, gentle boy who means well? or that this whole thing could have easily been avoided if all parties behaved responsibly? All parties? No, this whole thing could have easily been avoided if you as a parent taught your son how to respect a woman.

Here's a scenario for you: How would you feel if someone raped your wife, because she was drunk? Would it then be easily avoided if all parties behaved responsibly? Maybe your wife shouldn't have been drunk, I mean that is what you are trying to say about your son's victim isn't it? Wouldn't you want to blame the man who hurt your wife, took away her dignity and made her feel as if she was less than a woman and a human being? You would want him to serve his time in jail right? I thought so.

So why is this any different for your son? Is it because he is a 20-year-old swimmer at Stanford? Oh my gosh, he goes to Stanford, he can't ever make a mistake. [Insert the hardest of eye rolls, thousands of middle fingers and vomit everywhere.] Does Stanford mean he has this huge bright future that no one else can have? "OMG if he spends more than six months in jail he'll just die." Do you know how many people are in jail for minor crimes and are serving YEARS? What about their bright futures? Oh, they aren't Brock, so their futures aren't bright enough. What about the number of people serving years for crimes they didn't commit? Now we KNOW for a FACT that Brock committed this crime, but six months is too long for the golden boy.

Do you know why you think this isn't your son's fault and you're blaming the victim? You're a believer in male privilege. Male privilege is a concept for examining social, economic, and political advantages or rights that are made available to men solely on the basis of their sex. You think that because your son is a male and his victim is a female he is right and she is wrong. Let me restate a very important part of that definition again for you: rights that are made available to men solely on the basis of their sex. Since Brock is a male, and she was drinking, it's her fault, she should have acted like a lady. Brock should have acted like a man.

With this comes the concept of white male privilege. White male privilege is a concept for examining social, economic, and political advantages or rights that are made available to white men solely on the basis of their race. If an African-American committed this crime he would be in jail for life, sh*t if an Asian, Native American, or Latino committed this crime he would be in jail for life. But Brock is special, he can't do anything wrong, he's a swimmer at Stanford. Too bad USA Swimming banned him for life.

You need to face the facts. You son was, is, and forever will be in the wrong. He will probably never get a good job because of this. He will probably never have a "bright future" because of this, and this is all his fault. He made the decision to abuse drugs and alcohol, he made the decision to rape someone regardless of his "judgment being impaired." If you shoot someone, you and only you made the decision just like Brock and only Brock made this decision, and he needs to be held more accountable than six months in prison, having his hand held by you and Judge Persky.

Maybe if you as a father taught your son what is was to be a man and respect a woman, maybe if you as a father did your job to teach your son how to respect a woman, this probably wouldn't have happened. If you as a father did your job and taught your son how to be a man, this probably wouldn't have happened.

Just remember that God doesn't like ugly actions, and at the end of the day, he sees and controls all. Your son's actions, as well as yours, are ugly, disgraceful and embarrassing. I hope you both rot in Hell.

Sincerely,

A 20-year-old female, daughter, and sister to two brothers who have fathers who taught them what it was to be a man