Dear Trump Voters: Look What You Have Done

A recap of the terrifying first day post-election

3
Trbimg

Dear Trump voters,

First of all, I want to congratulate you on your victory this past Tuesday. Most of us, including you, didn’t think it was possible for America to actually elect this man. He might have had a lot of support, but were the people of this country really, truly capable of electing him as the head of our nation? Guess you were, and now it’s time to face the consequences of what you have done.

Let me tell you how the first day post-election has been from my point of view as a college sophomore. First of all, the campus is dead. Many people are skipping class, or leaving after professors have canceled them because of the fact that many students are afraid to leave their rooms. The school is organizing social gatherings for students and faculty to be there for each other, and support each other after the realization that we live in a country where many of us are clearly unwanted. Dinners are being organized in the dorms for students who are too afraid to go to the dining hall and be amongst people who disrespect them. Most students don’t feel safe in their own campus, their own home, and they are not being dramatic.

My fourteen-year-old brother back in Spain has spent the day being teased by his classmates for his American nationality, and I myself have received multiple messages from my Spanish friends wondering how we could have possibly let this happen. Nobody, besides some of you, understands how human hatred has gone this far. How the most qualified person to ever run for US presidency has been defeated by a racist, sexist and ignorant reality star, who is unaccepting of human equality. The rest of the world seems to see why this was a stupid decision, but I guess you don’t. Don’t worry though, you will with time. It just upsets me so much to know that before the election I was envied for being American and now I am laughed at instead.

So now it’s time for you to live in this country that you have chosen for yourselves. A country whose residents live in fear. A country that up until this past Tuesday was idolized by the international community. A country that is slowly becoming divided and falling apart.

My head hurts from crying all day, and my heart breaks thinking about all the lives that are going to be ruined because of this outcome, how no effort will be made to combat Global Warming, and about how it’s the 21st century and America is still not ready to welcome a woman into the White House, no matter how hard she works or how qualified she is.

Those of us who still have hope will keep fighting to make this the place we want to live in, while you watch your new president destroy all the progress that has been made up until now.

Again, congratulations and I hope you’re proud to be the laughing stock of the entire world.

Sincerely,

Ines