Dear Fearless Leader, From A Graduating Senior

Thanks for being the best fearless leader in the world.

8
Business News Daily

Dear Store Manager,

Two years ago, I applied for a job at your store on a whim. I needed a few extra bucks and I figured it was the best spot since it was so close to campus. While most managers might try to come across as terrifying during interviews, you weren’t the same. You showed from the start that you are a genuinely nice guy who cares for those around him. You made me laugh that day before I even stepped into the store for my first official shift.

As I got to know you, I got to see who you really were. You cared about so many people around you. Every time you see me, you ask me how school is doing. You ask about what I want to do after I walk across that stage in May. You cared for me as more than just an employee in your store.

You treated me like family when I was away from mine.

See many people fear their store manager. I guess I get the idea of why. You’re the top dog, the fearless leader, the one who runs the show. But to me, you became so much more. You let your personality show and made it really easy to respect you. You run circles around some of the managers I’ve had and stand on a level all by yourself.

I know that being the fearless leader to around 200 employees is stressful. I know we don’t always make it easy. I know that at the end of the day, we are sometimes the source of your stress. But I also know that you’re one of the most caring managers ever. You want us to succeed in everything that we do.

There’s something about wanting to see your employees do well in your store, and wanting to see them excel in life. For you, you never hide just how much you believe in us, your staff. Each day you walk into the store with a smile on your face, even the days that you might dread.

You greet us with excitement and make us laugh, even when it’s early in the morning and we might not be happy to be there. You know everyone by name, and make sure to let us know when we are doing a good job.

I don’t know how many times you made a bad day brighter just by offering me a smile and a laugh. I can’t say it enough, but the way you lead is the way that everyone should. You lead with such a heart for your employees that it gives them a reason to come to work each day. I know for me, sometimes one little thing can turn my day around. My job isn’t easy but it doesn’t nearly compare to what you have to deal with. Sometimes, I let my emotions get to me and it’s obvious that I’m not my usual self. Sometimes, there’s people who make it hard to work and the workplace unfriendly. But you do everything in your power to ensure we have a good experience.

I’ve watched as you made so many customers happy, even when they were irate and screaming at me. I watched as you’ve gone out of your way to help someone. I’ve seen you do so much and I can’t help but aspire to be a great leader like you one day.

As my time at your store winds down, and May quickly approaches, I wanted to take the time to really reflect on what I’ve learned through you. I’ve learned that it won’t always be easy, but it will be worth it. I’ll remember all those times you jokingly told me you needed me to work the entire day because I was good at my job. But it’s so much more than what I’ve done as an employee that’s going to stick with me.

I’m going to remember how you treated me like family the entire time. You always cared about me and the things I’ve done. You supported every aspect of my life and always pushed me to work hard. You loved when I came in on Thursday’s with the school paper. You were so supportive when I brought you the books that I wrote. I’ll remember the times you jokingly told me you were going to have my professors fail me because you didn’t want to lose me come graduation.

So thanks for giving me the opportunity to have a family away from home and showing me that there are people who always care. I know that I’m walking away with some valuable lessons when I finally leave the store, but they’re going to be lessons that I couldn’t have learned from anyone else. I’m walking away with lessons that only the most fearless of leaders could have taught, and I’m forever grateful that you were my fearless leader.

Love,

The Employee Who Graduates Soon