Dear Society

Dear Society,

You're not going to like this. You're not going to like what I have to say at all. That's okay because it's the truth, and it's been needed to be said for a while now.

You've made us feel like we were in the wrong. You've put us through a world of hurt, and the worst part of it is, we don't think you realize it. Or maybe you do, but you don't care. This happens all the time to females. I'm not targeting just one group of people, no society. I'm targeting you as whole because the truth is as a whole, society, or even separated, we are not kind to one another. Society, your actions are unbearable.

I guess I'll give away my identity. I am both victim and some one who is being accused. I am female. I am some one you have hurt. I am some one who you made into someone else just so I felt like I'd fit in. But that's what we do. We are awful to anyone who is different. Anyone who doesn't fit the standards, we are awful to. People try to fit into our rules and standards, but if we find just the slightest thing wrong, we pick on them.

Let's start with the way we look. If we're not tall, blonde and skinny, we don't fit it to what we call the norm. If a female doesn't look as skinny or fit as we want her too, we point it out. We have girls who feel like they are overweight even when they aren't because of this. We have girls body shaming, when the truth is everyone was built differently.

Makeup. That's another thing. If we're out in public and we don't have makeup on then we get stared at.

If a female is pregnant, and doesn't have that certain glow, we ask her if she's getting enough sleep or if she is feeling alright. We may not realize it but she'll start doubting herself and hating her body.

Don't get me started about how I'm supposed to dress. If there is even a slight hole in my jeans, I'm targeted. At high school, girls can't show their shoulders even though we were able to in grade school. All the staff is concerned about is the length of our dresses when students are being bullied. We are sexualized not prioritized.

You see, society, the thing is we've never been perfect to each other since the beginning of time. We haven't been perfect to a single race or gender. We are so quick to judge and not to understand. If we were just a bit more understanding, then maybe, just maybe, we wouldn't have so many teenage age girls flipping through magazines wishing they looked through a Victoria Secret model. Maybe if we were more understanding, more people wouldn't be so scared to stand out. The truth is I am unique, and I plan to stay that way. Until our actions towards people as a society gets fixed, there will be hate. Let's fix this.