Dear Race Directors: I Don't Need Another T-Shirt!

Tackling a frequent runner problem.

237
Self

Getting into running isn’t easy - long distance running especially. First-time runners need incentive. A mile on the track, even broken down into four simple laps, can seem like an eternity on the first try.

That it what it felt like to my middle school, budding running nerd self. I couldn’t believe it when one day at track practice I added up all my laps (scattered throughout several water breaks, walking, and stretching) and it equaled three miles. That was almost 5K! I kept running and I had a revelation when I realized there were things called races where you could get cool things! There were vendors and samples from sponsors, but most important of all you could even get a t-shirt proving you did it, you actually finished the whole 5K.

Thousands of miles later, I don’t need a t-shirt to prove I can run 5K. You can see it in my sock tan and above average appetite. The truth is, most runners are drowning in t-shirts and it’s time we changed that.

I was eating dinner with friends (mostly runners) not too long ago after doing some cleaning in my room. I had buckled down that afternoon, made some tough calls, and donated several oversized shirts I had from volunteering at races- t-shirts I hadn’t worn in years.

As I commented on my abundance of race apparel my friends quickly joined in, complaining about their own mountain of shirts. We agreed that most of these shirts, while special in their own way, are unnecessary, were a waste of money and production, and could be put to better use.

My question is - what can race directors do to change it up? I polled members of the Greater Long Island Running Club, asking them to comment on this topic, to provide their thoughts on race giveaways and their use in the long run. Here is a synopsis of the responses:

• About a dozen or so runners noted that they would like finisher’s items that are more practical for daily use. While t-shirts are useful at first, they quickly become overwhelming. The most popular among these more practical types was a workout towel. One runner commented saying he still uses a towel, which he received at a race seven years ago, every day at the gym.
  • A handful of runners said they prefer being a part of a raffle on race day. One runner won a gift certificate to a restaurant, another a free membership to the local YMCA.
  • The most unique of giveaways had to be bottle of wine and sacks of potatoes given to runners at an East End race. (Author’s note- I have been to this race several times and while the race does give out t-shirts the response to these unique, local items seems more enthusiastic)
  • Most runners agreed if t-shirts are given at races they prefer gender specific shirts (fitted for women) that are made of technical material, not cotton.

Here’s a breakdown of the items runners had received and preferred over t-shirts:

Even though some runners may groan at the sight of a new race shirt, wondering which relative to pawn it off to next, theses neon cotton nuisances play can play a crucial role in races, far beyond providing validation of our sweaty endeavors.

Throughout my informal poll a race director provided valuable perspective, noting that, “The goal of most races is to raise awareness and funds for a cause, shirts are pretty much the only way to do both in that they keep the name of the race and the names of the sponsors visible long after race day.” She also noted, “Write a check for $5K to $10K to sponsor a race and you can pick the giveaway.”

I'm a pretty frugal person. My competitive and community-oriented side outweighs my thriftiness as I could never completely forgo racing, though I do wish the pomp and circumstance of some races – the t-shirts, race photos, festivals, medals – could be eliminated altogether, and lower some of the registration fees. Your typical 5K race costs around $25, maybe $20 if you pre-register. And those are considered tame prices. Themed, obstacle, or destination races could go upwards to $50 for the same distance. If you find yourself racing every weekend, or even every other, that can add up quickly.

I wouldn't mind paying $10 or so, packing my own post-race fuel and forgoing another shirt to line up and race. It would be a nice change of pace. After all, less is more.

As for all the shirts I decided to keep? (I'm not hoarding, just sentimental - there's a difference!)

This is my next challenge (which may cost a few 5Ks in itself):