Dear Procrastination

Dear Procrasitnation,

I'm breaking up with you. I could say "It's not you, it's me", but it actually is you. You've wasted enough of my life and I've decided to take back control.

We've had a great time of it, had a few laughs. Like the time I wrote my final essay the night before it was due, and when I turned it in, my professor swore it could not have been written the night before and gave me an A. (I never told him it was.)... Or the time when I spent all day binge-watching Supergirl, when I should have been studying for my midterm...

But seriously we're through. All the times you've kept me up into the wee hours of the night studying for a final the next morning, or writing a paper that was due the next day, just so I could have a few extra hours on Netflix the day before... All the times I missed an opportunity to help a friend, or hang out with my family, or enjoy real life because I was too busy making up for time we wasted.... All the times I was sick with stress and anxiety, but you told me "Don't stress it. Just watch Doctor Who or read Harry Potter or waste time on Pinterest, and you'll forget all about it."

It felt good in the moment, but the stress just got worse.

You asked, "When have I ever led you astray?"

Oh so many times, my friend. So many times.

I used to think that my creative energy was strongest when I'd wait until the last minute to finish a project or paper, but now I see that you were just robbing me of the time I needed to be able to do my very best. I was left so many times with a sick pit of guilt in my stomach, knowing I could have done better, had I not listened to you.

So we're through. We're done. Diligence and self-control have caught my eye and I'm chasing after them and leaving you in the dust. Time is valuable and it cannot be regained after it's lost. I am sick of wasting time, sick of the excuses. I'm going to make the most of my life, and that means leaving you.

So good luck, good bye, and good riddance.

Sincerely,

The Girl Who Procrastinated