Dear PETA, We Know Your Secret

Dear PETA, We Know Your Secret

You can't act innocent anymore.

51
Dear PETA, We Know Your Secret
Instagram

As a proud SeaWorld supporter, a critique I am constantly faced with happens to be the misinformed PETA argument. For you who do not know who PETA is, or what the argument is, I'll give a little backstory.

In March of 1980, an organization titled People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, or PETA was founded. The organization ran on the basis of promoting vegetarian and vegan lifestyles and speaking about animal cruelty. Over the years, as the organization gained popularity, the methods to which the group began promoting their information changed.

PETA has always spoken out against animal cruelty, but their research has been faulty in numerous accounts, especially concerning SeaWorld, their practice, and possession of killer whales and other cetaceans. While PETA was not completely put together and a recognized foundation until 1980, SeaWorld has been operating since 1959.

PETA fuels the majority of their argument against SeaWorld with the tragedies that have occurred within the park, the 2010 death of senior trainer Dawn Brancheau, the death of Daniel P. Dukes a looter who hopped the fence and got into the water with the most known whale in SeaWorld’s possession, Tilikum, and the passing of animals within their care.

While I’m not entirely sure where PETA gets their information, or if they honestly make up a lot of “facts” but it needs to end. PETA is a harsh criticizer of SeaWorld, yet they are on the spectrum of animal treatment much worse.

SeaWorld has a program run through one of other locations titled Busch Gardens, called SeaWorld Rescue. This is exactly what it sounds like. It is a rescue team funded and run by SeaWorld that rescues, rehabilitates and releases animals back into the water or habit if deemed possible by board-certified veterinarians.

While PETA claims to be a safe haven for abandoned and abused animals, they have one of the highest euthanasia rates for all animal shelters. Let me repeat that, one of the highest euthanasia rates. While claiming to be free of animal cruelty, In 2014 alone, 81% of their 3,017 animals were euthanized.

That is 2,455 animals. PETA calls this mercy killings because the animals were deemed non-adoptable. These evaluations are given within 24 hours of the animal arriving at the facility. These animals are terrified, they are scared, the person who they loved and thought loved them just left them at a shelter.

Of course, they are not going to be immediately friendly. PETA euthanizes thousands of animals every single year whom most they never gave a fighting chance. {https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/religion/a.

But PETA claims SeaWorld is the bad guy. PETA claims they don't have anything to hide, but they publically shame for SeaWorld for "crimes" much less severe than they themselves are responsible for. SeaWorld has rescued over 31,000 animals in the fifty years they have been open and this project has been running.

Yes, animals have died at the park. If you put a fifth of the time and research into this as I have you will understand the animals who have passed have lived full lives, they have passed from illnesses that are 100% possible to catch in the wild. They have been given the absolute best life possible in the circumstances they are in.

The animals who have passed are no different from the dying populations that reside in the oceans currently, except the ones at SeaWorld are actually free from humans destroying their home with pollution. {https://seaworldcares.com/Rescue-at-Seaworld/}

To those of you who yell and protest SeaWorld to release all of their animals in their possession, sit down and out your eyes to a screen and read the NOAA website. Read the laws regarding animal release for captive-born animals, read the statistics for releasing animals who have been in human care for the majority of their life. Do everyone a favor and read, do not believe PETA and their statistics.

Aside from the numerous false facts PETA loves to publish, a huge problem I have with the company is their tactics at gaining attention. Within the last ten years or so, the number of PETA protests have increased and their use of nudity has skyrocketed. In public display, PETA is notoriously seen using naked women painted for numerous different causes. I personally believe PETA has run out of information and has hit the last resort of simply needing attention before cramming false information down the throats of the easily persuaded,

Something PETA does, however, provide and is a wonderful resource, are recipes for vegan and vegetarian options for food if that if your chosen life style{ https://www.peta.org/recipes} or something I have adapted and use frequently, their cruelty-free product list.

While some disagree with SeaWorld and the idea of captivity, please do your research concerning the ideas PETA likes to place in the heads of uninformed viewers. Don’t be their prey.