Dear People Who Are Meeting Me For the First Time

You may think you know who I am, but you really have no idea.

15
Madyson Gasper

Dear People Who Are Meeting Me For the First Time,

I'm not sure why, or how we are meeting, but I wanted to give you some pointers on what to think when meeting a girl like me for the very first time. Maybe you have met people like me before and can sense personality traits and actions. I applaud you for that because sensing people is very hard nowadays.

I'm sorry I have resting bitch face.

I really do, and I apologize in advance. We all know that girl who is sitting across the room looking like she hates everyone and everything in sight. She looks like she doesn't want to be there, and doesn't have time for anyone but herself. That girl is me. I totally have the resting bitch face, and cannot control it. I promise I care about what I'm doing, even if I look like I want to murder everyone in sight. If looks could kill for me, most people would be dead. Oops.

I really am interested in your life, and what you have to say.

Whether I've known you forever, or am meeting you for the first time, I truly care about you and what you have to say. I always listen before speaking (unless I'm mad). I might not look like I care, but I promise I do. I am one of the most selfless people on the planet. My circle of obligation is huge, and if I've met you once, you're in it. Our conversation will mostly consist of me asking questions about you, rather me telling you all about my life. If you ask me, then I will tell you, but I don't necessarily enjoy boasting about myself. Let's say we don't even end up being friends for some reason, I will always be there for you if you need someone. If you've done me wrong, and you're in a bad situation, I won't hold a grudge against you and not help. No matter what's happening, I will always be there to listen, to help, to be your friend.

My sass and sarcasm are all in good fun.

Have you ever heard someone say "If I'm not making fun of you, there is something wrong"? That quote is me to a point. I come off as a huge smart-ass and sassy girl, but it's really all supposed to be funny. I don't mean for my word choice to come across and rude. Sometimes it's hard to read if people can handle the sass and sarcasm, so my apologies in advance if you are one of those people. I really do tease and pick on the people I love.

I am super flirty.

Sometimes I'm flirty on purpose, but most the time I am not. I'm not afraid to strike up a conversation with just about anyone, and some people take that as being flirtatious. Especially when I am out with friends, I tend to be more of a flirty character. I flirt with everyone really, boys, girls, dogs, you name it. Just kidding I don't actually do that, but hopefully, you get the point that I do it with everyone, and I'm not trying to make something more of our friendship.

I absolutely love making new friends.

If I walk up to you, and start conversation, there is a really good chance I see something we have in common. Even if we don't, I love meeting new people, learning about different ways people grew up, their beliefs, their morals, their story. There is a super good chance we actually do have something in common because I'm pretty open with others. I get along with almost everybody and that was really hard growing up. I was a part of almost every friend group, and some people didn't like that. As you grow older, you tend to notice that it's nicer to get along with almost everyone.

I am a no-judgement-zoned human being.

Let's face it, everybody judges something at some point in their life. I've realized that judging other people is super pointless because you have no idea what type of life they have. You may have gone through the same situations as them, but most the time other people react differently than you would. There is nothing wrong with that, but it can be hard to empathize with others. For me, I've learned over the last few years that you're going to run into people that you can sympathize, and empathize with. Being said, I really learned to just accept people for who they are no matter what. I don't like when other people judge me and pin stereotypes; therefore, I will not do that to others.

I do not put up with bullsh*t whatsoever.

If you're talking to me because you think I have a nice body, or think I'm an easy target, you can just walk away. I'm playful, I'm flirty, but under no circumstances am I allowing someone to take advantage of me. I have walls built up from people from my past breaking me down. In no situation ever will I invite some toxic person into my life for their convenience. Sorry, not sorry.

Whether you're white, black, purple, or blue. Whether you believe in God, or don't believe in anything. Whether you want to be a successful movie star or a rockin' mailman, I will love you for who you are. I will be your friend regardless of what people say or do. As long as you treat me with respect, we are bound to get along.

Love, the girl you thought I was.