A goodbye letter to America's greatest Maverick
News

Dear Senator McCain, You Will Be Dearly Missed

A goodbye letter to America's greatest Maverick.

34
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:John_McCain_at_commissioning_of_USS_Halsey_(DDG-97).jpg

Dear Senator John McCain,

I think I should start off by saying I'm not someone who normally ever cares about politics; they lead to arguments and fights I really don't care to get into. But, even so, I must say I have always been a fan of yours. I admired you so very much for the simplest reason, you cared. It was not about what the party's individual values or interests were, you simply cared about doing what was best for the citizens of the country you loved so much.

July 30, 2005, at seven-years-old, I was sitting aboard the USS Halsey (DDG-97) as it got commisioned, and you were the honored speaker. My dad was the commanding officer of the ship and I remember watching excitedly. My mother says she remembered you being swarmed by awed veterans and fans, and when she asked if you needed help breaking the crowd you said no. She said she could just tell that you weren't overwhelmed by the masses because these were your people. You wanted to be with these men and women who served the Navy, just like you. My mind was more occupied by the fact that my whole family was in town. But, I remember asking my mother of your importance and why it was such a big deal that you were there and why it was such an honor to meet you. My young mind knew nothing of the importance of senators, war heroes, or why people were so awed by you being there. But now, I understand.

I now understand the meaning behind getting the Silver Star, the Bronze Star, the Legion of Merit, a Purple Heart and Flying Cross. I now know what that means. In simple terms, I now know that you were a hero. With age, I understand the strength and bravery it took to survive in Vietnam as a prisoner of war for five and a half years, being tortured and confined. And, I now understand your unwavering commitment to the Navy and its men and women.

Whenever I heard about you military feats, I understood why people loved you. But, then, whenever I heard your pride in our country, and your political drive to make it the best it could be, my respect and admiration for you grew even more. You taught America that when you lose, you don't become angry and bitter, but instead to be strong and congratulate the victor even when you're hurting. You showed that party lines are not the only things that should define how you choose to vote, but rather the harm or benefit policies will have on America's people. Your people.

You did the impossible and befriended and earned respect from political leaders from both parties. And, with that, your loss has devastated people from both sides. Your passing has been so difficult for so many because you worked, fought, and lead so many of us in turbulent times. You showed the true meaning of loving your country, and for that, I want to say thank you, and goodbye.

Thank you for putting the people's interest over parties. Thank you for showing us how to be strong and united. Thank you for all the service that you have done for your country. I would like to say my final goodbye with a quote of your own:

"So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their view, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and its purpose in the service of your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide. Always give a word or a sign of salute when meeting or passing a friend, even a stranger, when in a lonely place. Show respect to all people and grovel to none. When you arise in the morning give thanks for the food and the joy of living. If you see no reason for giving thanks, the fault lies only in yourself. Abuse no one and no thing, for abuse turns the wise ones to fools and robs the spirit of vision. When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home." - John McCain

I am sure now, you are surrounded by the men you served with and the veterans you fought so hard for. You will be missed, but your legacy will go on forever.

Sincerely,

A proud American, and proud Navy Brat.