Dear Insecurities,

Dear Insecurities,

Sorry, insecurities, but you won't bring me down anymore.

42
Dear Insecurities,

No matter how old you are, there is a large chance that you have experienced insecurities. Whether it was your own personal battle or you've witnessed a loved one struggle with this, you at least have a sense of what our insecurities can do to us. If, by the grace of God, you don't know what it means to be insecure, it entails a lack of confidence, heightened uncertainty, and never thinking you're good enough.

I have personally struggled with being insecure my entire life. I have dealt with issues of not being the skinniest or smartest girl in the class. Growing up, I was surrounded by flawless girls that didn't even have to try to be beautiful. I was jealous of other people's lives and often questioned my value as a person, asking myself if I would ever be good enough. After many hard battles that I, along with many other people, have faced with insecurities, here's what I have to say.

Dear insecurities,

1. I am not and will never be perfect.

We were put on this Earth to be ourselves and not focus on perfection. Nothing in life is perfect, and I'm completely okay with it.

2. I will not constantly apologize.

Constantly apologizing for things that are in no way my fault makes me feel weak and inferior. I will no longer feel guilty in order to make someone else feel better about themselves.

3. I don't need to cake on makeup to be beautiful.

I don't need perfectly shaped eyebrows or thick eyelashes to feel beautiful. We are all beautiful in our own ways, and I will not let my beauty be defined by how much makeup I wear. My inner beauty is what matters.

4. We were all created to be different.

This world would be so boring if we all looked and acted the same. I will continue to be outgoing and confident in what makes me stand out from everyone else. Let's dare to be different.

5. I don't need anyone's approval to be myself.

If someone can't accept me for who I am, including my flaws, they don't deserve to be in my life. Another person's judgement on me will not change how I see myself.

6. My value is not measured by my weight.

I may not be on a strict diet or have a thin waistline, but I will continue to eat whatever I like and be happy in my own skin. No amount of insecurities will hold me back from my cheeseburgers and milkshakes. I'm not the skinniest girl in the world, but I can sure be happy.

7. No more comparing myself to others anymore.

I will not let society's idea of beautiful effect how I see myself. I won't compare myself to my peers or the models I see in magazines. I will also not let my personal relationships be compared to those of others.

8. I will try to accept my flaws.

Whether it's the size of my nose, my stretch marks, my GPA, or my weight, I will accept myself for who I am. I will stop focusing on what other people think and love myself even with my flaws.

9. I can try to face rejection.

Rejection from a job or relationship can only make me stronger. Although rejection is always difficult, I will try my best to be tough and get passed it. I just have to remember that it's their loss.

10. No more overthinking.

I will no longer spend my nights lying awake and thinking about what I could have done differently. Constantly overthinking about what could have been drives my mind crazy, and I will not let it control my life anymore.

11. The right person will love me for who I am, not for who I pretend to be.

No matter what my insecurities make me feel, I am worthy of someone great. I deserve love without having to alter my looks or personality. I will eventually find someone that love and respects me for not pretending to be someone that I'm not.

12. I AM good enough.

I will not let my insecurities take over my life anymore. I am so much more than negative thoughts and uncertainties about myself.

Overall, insecurities, I'd like to say thank you. Thank you for showing me that I can be strong and confident enough to beat you. Even on the toughest days when you make me feel like I'm not enough or I'm useless, I know that I can pull myself up from the ground and be the best person that I can be. You've tested my limits and kicked my while I'm down, but I will conquer my insecurities.

Sincerely,

Done with you.