Dear All High School Seniors

Dear All High School Seniors

Everything is going to fly by and there is no way to stop it.

65
Dear All High School Seniors
Lauren Sears

Dear High School Seniors,

Well now is the time when all the fun planning comes around; picking out colleges, planning snowball and even starting to look at prom dresses. There are so many things I wish I knew going into senior year that I am going to share with you.

Please know that the day you come back from winter break, everything is going to fly by and there is no way to stop it.

After officially committing to a college, know that it is ultimately your decision and you will be the one attending it. Not your friends, parents, sibling or teachers.... you will be going there for the next four years. Do not pressure your friends to go to the same school as you or anywhere near because they need to be happy as well. Do not plan for things in the future with your friends because nothing is guaranteed and plans always change.

Remember that feeling you had when you stepped onto the field or court for the very first time as a freshman and that place has become your home? Remember that as you step on that field or court for the very last time in front of your friends, family and coaches that are so proud of you. Hug your parents as they meet you on that court or field and receive a bouquet of flowers and smile for the picture as your parents will treasure this moment forever. Play your heart out in that last game because you will never wear that same jersey, with your same teammates playing your cross-town rival.

Spend time with your favorite teachers because in college your professor won't care what new Snapchat filter came out or how that party was last weekend when they have 600 other students to worry about. Enjoy long conversations about your future with the ones who have prepared you for the long journey ahead of you. They want to see you succeed just as much as your parents.

All of a sudden it's May and you are planning the last minute details of prom and organizing cabins and limos and flowers to give to your amazing date. You pick up your dress/tuxes and you plan an amazing night. You buy your tickets, flowers, garters and plan to take pictures by the waterfront because the sunset is gorgeous. You will love and hate prom at the same time because it is not like any other dance. It's not homecoming or snowball, you feel like everything is ending and this is one of your last hoorays before graduation and it definitely is. Dance the night away, even if your date makes you cry and you do not want to have fun.Make sure your friends are all together to share these special moments because you will remember them when you part your ways in August.

Then it's the last day of school and 60 different emotions are running through your head as you empty out that same locker you had your first kiss at, first heartbreak, where you were asked to homecoming, snowball and even prom. That locker that housed all of your sports equipment and everything you could've ever need at school. You will miss the smell of pencils and paper and folders as this is the last time you smell them because college isn't like high school at all. You say goodbye to the teachers who have guided you to success because without them you would be nothing. You will cry when you part with your teacher who became your mother and listened to every piece of drama you were dealing with or dealt with every boy or girl who broke your heart. It will be sad but remember you cannot succeed without moving forward.

HAPPY GRADUATION DAY! You wake up early and have an amazing day ahead of you. You celebrate with lunch before graduation with your friends because you finally did it and it's only a matter of hours before you walk across the stage. Your friend picks you up as you are all dressed up in your cap and gown but you cannot escape your parents without taking at least 100 pictures. You arrive at the auditorium and look at the stage you will soon be crossing. Emotions will flood your mind and you will not able to focus. Sitting with the people you have been going to school with and watching grow for 13 years are all in the seats beside you. You search the crowd looking for your best friends and family of course. You line up and walk across the stage as your teacher announces what school you will be attending in the fall.

And just like that. It's all over. No more early morning coffee runs with your friends as you try to beat the first bell or late nights at school the day before a pep rally.

13 years of school gone in a snap. As one door closes another one opens and it is time to move on. So enjoy the time you have left and do not wish a single day away no matter how bad it is.

Love Always,

Someone who has been in your shoes before