Dear God, Are You There? It's Me, A Millennial Christian Woman

A Voluntary Q&A for the Man Upstairs

33
Tyla Steier//Dalle Rutledge
Disclaimer: Hashtag blessed.

Dear God,

I guess this is like a prayer but more public.

I have some questions I guess as a member of apparently the worst generation yet. Weird, cause every generation is the worst generation yet at its time, but weird.

As a Christian in my early-20s, I am fairly familiar with temptation, and have definitely given in once or twice or 17,000 times, as most of my generation does. Sometimes we have tattoos, use swear words, engage in sexual relations before marriage, work on a Sunday, etc. Now I know a few churches that say we're damned to spend eternity in the pit for these things. I've got to ask, is that true? "For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way just as we are-- yet was without sin." Hebrews 4;15.

Jesus Understands.

The world has changed so much since you sent your Son to save us. John 3:16. Did you know about all of this? And your children, we have changed with it. Does that damn us? It's my personal opinion that our adaptation to our surroundings and even the slips or nosedives into temptation do not, in fact, damn us. We are the black sheep of your flock, but still your flock none-the-less. I believe in a compassionate and loving God, just as when you sacrificed your son for us.

What about the people picking and choosing certain rules of the Old Testament judge by? You know the ones who shout "JESUS HATES HOMOSEXUALS" but wear polyester, or scream "THALL SHALT NOT MURDER." In front of an abortion clinic, but forget to love their neighbor when he or she has a child out of wedlock. Somehow I think that when you come to judge both the living and the dead, your'e about as likely to send someone into the Lake of Fire for living with their boyfriend before marriage as you are for someone who has been divorced. NOT LIKELY.

By no means, am I justifying mine or others delves into temptation, but I think you would agree that it's your place to judge, not some self-righteous human. Another question: as the world adapts, why aren't your churches adapting? To me, it seems like some of them would rather close their doors to those who are seeking salvation just because of how they look or what they've done.

Church should be a hospital for the sinners, not a hotel for the saints.

And don't get me wrong, though I'm not in church every Sunday, that does not mean that I don't love you or believe in you still. Your handiwork is in every sunset and twinkle of a new life. I'll never forget what you've done for us as your children, and I hope to see you in heaven someday.

Sincerely,

A Strong Millennial Christian Woman.