Dear Daddy, From Your Grown-Up Little Girl

Thank you for all that you do.

34606
Kelsey Thomas

Dear Dad,

It seems like just yesterday I was a toddler and you were wrapping me up in a hooded Winnie the Pooh towel or carrying me to bed when I pretended to fall asleep in the den. Sorry about that, by the way, I just never really felt like walking all the way to my room. Somehow, in the blink of an eye, I'm not a little girl anymore and am about to be a senior in college. I know I can speak for the both of us when I question where all the time has gone and how I've gotten this old this fast. But no matter how much time has passed or how old I get, there's one thing that will never change: the fact that I will always be your little girl.

There will never be a day where I am wiser than you or know better, and I can guarantee that when I'm 30, I'll still call you asking what temperature I need to set the oven at to bake my chicken. You are part of what has shaped me into the woman I have become and you are more than just a father to me, but a best friend. You have taught me right from wrong, pushed my bike when it was time to take off the training wheels, and supported me in every activity I've ever tried, even when I sucked at them. You have helped me understand how valuable I am by helping me through every situation I've ever faced. Because I've always had your hand to hold through the hard times, I have learned how to defend myself and not take any crap from people who aren't worthy of my time.

Your lighthearted humor always fills my cloudy days with sun and you never fail to make me laugh. You are the king of dad jokes and always find the most positive aspects to focus on in a bad situation. It's also like you can sense when I'm having a bad day because I swear that whenever I'm in a funky mood, I get a Snapchat of you singing and dancing around to our song. Whenever I'm sad or don't feel OK, you're always there to give me a great big hug and let me get tears all over your t-shirts. Your arms are the safest place that I could ever be in.

I can't thank you enough for everything that you do for our family. You're one of the most hardworking people I know. Not only do you work a job, but you also take care of us and do renovations on the house all on your own. Who needs a contractor if they have a dad like you? You're a true handyman and if something is broken, I always know that you can fix it. I hope that one day when it's time for me to get married, I am able to have a marriage that's as strong as your's with Mom. You both have shown me what true love looks like and have encouraged me to never give up when life gets hard. You have taught me to not chase people who aren't good for me and to accept those who treat me well. Thank you for always being my biggest defender and my superhero.

I know that you're probably in denial of the fact that your baby girl is getting so grown. To be honest, I'm in denial of it, myself. But, I hope that you are able to be proud of the daughter you have raised and the values that you have distilled in me. I live every day with the purpose of making you and Mom proud. You are my two biggest role models and your opinions are the two that matter most to me. I know that me getting older is scary for you, probably even scarier than the first time you let me drive your truck, but no matter my age, I will always be your little girl. Thank you for all that you have taught me and continue to teach me every day. Thank you for always forgiving my mistakes and helping me learn from them. Thank you for always cheering me up and making every day brighter. Thank you for being the best dad in the whole world. I couldn't do life without 'ya and I love you so very much.

Love always,

Your grown-up little girl