12 Signs You’re Dealing with Someone Toxic And Should Probably Cut Them Off

If you're looking for a sign to cut that toxic person out of your life, this is it.

803

Many of us have found ourselves being brought down by the people we surround ourselves with before.

We often times hold onto these friendships and relationships with the notion that if we just keep trying, things will get better. Though, this isn't the case. Most times, you are dealing with someone toxic to you and they simply will not change; it's who they are. They may belittle you, make you feel like you aren't good enough, or just give you bad vibes.

If you are unsure of whether or not you are dealing with someone toxic, here are some signs.

They get angry over small things.

It can be something as simple as you not responding to a text fast enough, the people you hang out with, or something you say. A toxic person will hold onto these things and make them bigger issues than they need to be.

Someone who is toxic may hold something over your head from months prior because they simply cannot let it go. You took too long to text them back? The next time they see you texting someone back quickly they may say the person you're talking to is more important to them.

You're friends with someone they do not associate or get along with? They will bring this up every time you mention the person's name.

They act as if their problems are more important than yours.

When it comes to dealing with somebody who is toxic, your problems will never compare to theirs. It does not matter if you're upset about a bad grade or your sister is in the hospital.

The toxic person will always find a way to make their issues seem worse than yours, and make you feel stupid for being upset over the things going on in your life. Whenever you try to talk to the toxic person about what is going on in your life, you are made to feel as if you are overreacting, and your issues are miniscule compared to what's going on in their life.

They make everything about themselves.

Whether it's an ordinary Wednesday or your wedding day, toxic people will make it about themselves. You can never have a day that is meant to celebrate you or your accomplishments without this person somehow making something about them. You just graduated from college? That's fantastic!

But the toxic person has a headache, so, unfortunately, you cannot celebrate the way you would like to because they need to rest. You got an A on an exam you studied your ass off for and you're ready to celebrate it? Amazing! But they lost $5 and will complain about it for the rest of the night.

They threaten to harm themselves if you leave.

Often times, when a toxic person starts to feel someone in their life pulling away, they will threaten to harm themselves or make irrational decisions in an attempt to keep the person around. It does not matter to them that you need space for your own mental health and happiness.

The instant they feel you being distant they will guilt trip you by saying things such as "If I didn't have you I would kill myself" or "Whenever you aren't around I want to harm myself."

This is a serious red flag and should not be ignored. If someone threatens their own safety based off of a relationship, they are extremely toxic, and they may possibly be serious. In this situation, please, report the situation.

They make you feel guilty for wanting to be happy.

Similar to the previous point, a toxic person will often times make you feel guilty for wanting to be happy. Whether it involves distancing yourself from that person or not, they may make you feel like the choices you are making in order to better yourself are stupid or wrong.

Ultimately, nobody has the right to tell you the proper way to ensure your own happiness. The people around you who truly love you will be encouraging of whatever makes you feel better, and the person who makes you feel bad for the way you deal doesn't need or deserve to be in your life.

They make you feel like you must base all of your decisions off of their best interest, instead of yours.

Someone who is toxic will often attempt to convince you to make your decisions based off their best interested, ignoring your own. It does not matter what the situation is and how it could benefit you; if it does not also benefit them, they don't want it.

Even if the situation does not affect them in any way, if they see something benefiting you in a positive way they will get upset, making the situation about themselves and convincing you to choose an option that conforms to what they want.

They are always negative.

Toxic people tend to never see the good in life.

Any minor inconvenience that happens will be blown way out of proportion, making it seem like the end of the world. You can try and try to convince the toxic person that things aren't so bad, and give them a list of a million good things they have in their life, but it will never be enough for them.

To a toxic person, the world is out to get them and nothing will ever be positive.

They make you feel like you cannot do better.

Toxic people love to bring you down and make you feel less than you truly are. They will make you feel like you are not good enough to be with someone else or make other friends.

A toxic person will do anything in their power to keep you around, even if that includes making you feel like you cannot do better than them or you need them in your life. They will make you feel as if you need them, and convince you that they are the best you will ever get. (Please, do not believe them.)

They express jealousy and envy towards your accomplishments rather than congratulating you.

A normal friend or loved one would be ecstatic when something good happens for you. Whether it be a new job, a good grade, or buying a new car.

A toxic person, though, will express jealousy and/or envy towards you due to your achievements. They will make you feel bad about doing good for yourself simply because they wish they were in your position.

They point out your insecurities or mistakes, especially when you’re already feeling down.

Typically when you are feeling down or having a rough day, your loved ones will try to pick you up and brighten your day; they would do anything to turn your mood around and help you see the bright side of things. A toxic person will not do the same.

Toxic people will ridicule you or point out your flaws even more. If you are feeling insecure about the way you look, instead of shooting down your insecurity and telling you that you are fine the way you are, a toxic person may agree and tell you things you can do to change.

They expect you to always be there for them, but are never there for you.

Similarly to number two, when a toxic person is going through a rough time, they expect you to always be there for them; but when you're in the same position they're nowhere to be found.

Many toxic people tend to only think about themselves. They expect everyone to drop whatever they are doing the second they are in need, but if a friend needs them there are ten things ahead of them on the list of importance.

They make you feel like you are hard to love.

Specifically when in a relationship with a toxic person, they tend to make you feel like you are hard to love.

Minor issues that you may have will get blown up and used against you. Your little quirks and things that make you unique can easily be turned into negative traits when it comes to a toxic partner. They will ridicule you and make you feel bad for being who you are.

Having a toxic person in your life can seriously ruin your confidence and mental health. Toxic people only care about their own selves at the end of the day, and they will bring you down in the process.

Know your worth and cut these toxic people out of your life. It may seem impossible, but the second you take the initiative to cut them off, you will feel a weight lifted off your shoulders. Removing the toxicity can instantly clear your head and make you happier than you have been in a long time.

Allowing yourself to have healthy relationships is the first step towards self-love. Do not let anyone treat you the way a toxic friend or partner would. Cut them off. Allow yourself to grow. Love yourself enough to walk away.

Photo by nikko macaspac on Unsplash