How I Deal With PMS

How I Deal With PMS

From cravings to physical exhaustion to constant changes in mood, here are the ways that I combat the dreadful PMS.

23
How I Deal With PMS

PMS, or premenstrual syndrome, is easily the most annoying thing that our bodies dictate. Different women may experience a different level of PMS than another. Personally, I can say with certainty that I am inflicted with PMS, monthly may I add, and my friends and roommates can all attest to this statement. Thus, I have compiled a list to help deal with a woman's wondrous "time of the month."

1. The Cravings

In short, I have learned that it's best to just give into the cravings. If I don't indulge in the cookie dough, cake, brownies, ice cream or chocolate, then such sweet treats are the only things to occupy my mind. They, my cravings, are very determined. Therefore, it's best for the entire public and those in close proximity to me if I eat the goods. Typically I crave sweets, but that's not always the case. Sometimes I feel as though I am feeding a bottomless pit (my stomach) and other times I hardly touch anything; but if I'm being honest, it's typically just the first scenario. When in doubt though, I give in to the cravings however odd they may seem. It's completely normal for me to just eat queso and tortillas for dinner, in fact that happened last week.

2. The Tears

I would like to say that this is not part of the process, but unfortunately, it is. I have found myself on the verge of tears at times when I see a poor little bug that has clipped its leg or wing and is on the verge of death. Watching them struggle as they try to hang in there is absolutely devastating to watch when PMSing. I sympathize with their pain and the helpless situation they are in. However, these aren't the only critters that my tear ducts are susceptible to. I can recall a time when I almost cried in class when someone pulled out a puppy folder; it was embarrassing. Or, for instance, any time I watch videos of a miniature pig popping out from under a blanket, that gets me. When an emotional song comes on, I can guarantee that there will be tears. That's just a fact of my life. And I will be frank, I can't help the tears. I do my best to keep them from rolling down my cheeks, and that's all I can do.

3. Exhaustion

The best way to handle this side effect is to nap. I will get my normal eight hours (or more) of sleep and then proceed to take a two-hour nap for the duration of my PMS schedule. I have tried to fight this aspect, like the previous ones, and have also failed. My eyelids grow heavy, and there really is no stopping me from snoozing the afternoon away. It's also not just that I'm mentally exhausted, but physically drained as well. It's work to lug around appendages that feel 10 pounds heavier; just the thought of that makes my brain and body fatigued. So, all in all, I have found that more sleep is truly the best cure.

4. The Bodily Pains

This includes headaches/migraines, bloating, cramps and aching joints, just to name a few. For me, I experience typically one really bad headache or borderline-migraine (it varies each time) per month; the best way to resolve these throbbing, head pounding intrusions is to drink water, take two Advil, lie in a dark room, place an ice pack at the base of my neck and then take a 45 minute or longer nap. It may seem daunting at first, but all the steps are worth it. Birth control pills and/or pain relievers are incredibly helpful in lessening one's symptoms of bloating and cramps. If it weren't for birth control, I would be bloated off and on for days. And I should add that it's not minor bloating, no, I'm talking I have to unbutton my pants or just take them off altogether to alleviate some of the discomforts. And then there are the cramps, which of course are nothing short of being extremely unpleasant. There isn't much to do about the cramps, aside from taking Advil or Midol, except try and stand and not collapse to the ground in the fetal position when they cut through me.

5. Exercise

I don't. It just doesn't go well for me. Imagine trying to run around when you are bloated to the point that you feel 30 pounds heavier, and on top of that you can't really seem to catch your breath. It's almost as if you can't really breathe at all; each breath is taxing and doesn't quite seem to fill your lungs with enough oxygen to then fuel your body to complete the physical exertions you are asking it to do.

6. Mood Swings

Ah, the dreaded mood swings. I can go from being straight savage to crying at a romantic comedy. It's completely normal. I wish I could say that I could give a warning before my mood changes, but typically I'm completely unaware of what's going on until it's too late. So I apologize on behalf of myself, and all women out there, for our bitchy attitude (For the most part, we don't intend to come across that way). I try to announce when it's PMS time to my friends and that's the best I can do. Also, if I know I'm in a bad mood already, I will try to caution people that today is not the day to mess with me. Once again, I apologize for this aspect of the oh so lovely PMS.