To Each Their Own: Dealing With Mental Health

This is just a quick response to a post I saw that basically shamed other people for how they choose to deal with their mental health.

6
The CW

For those who have lived with depression for really any length of time, (because severity is not based on how long since you've been diagnosed), you ought to know how difficult it is somedays to function properly.

To get out of bed. To eat something other than almonds and a glass of water, if you eat anything at all. How hard it is to put a smile on your face when your mind is screaming at you.

So this one goes out to the girl who wrote an article explaining to the world that going to the gym helps with depression and the rest of us should really start going, too.

I initially saw your article spread over my Facebook page, which wasn't new or surprising. The headline caught my attention and I thought that maybe it was meant to catch an eye and the article wasn't actually about how the rest of us are inferior. I read it, I liked it, I just have an issue with it...and apparently, so do the several comments under your article.

I appreciate that this thing works for you, and I'm glad that you've found the thing that makes you feel better but I would appreciate if you didn't write it as if it were the Holy Grail and the rest of us are wrong.

Because yes, some days when things get especially hard, running or walking or doing SOMETHING helps a lot. But most of the time it's that curl up in bed in the same clothes you've been wearing for three days and tell yourself you should really shower but taking that shower would take all the energy you have left in you.

My preference for managing my depression isn't the gym. It's doing art. Creating and building things to get my thoughts out without having to spend all my energy. Trust me, I enjoy that post-workout energy boost as much as the next person, but when getting dressed is hard enough it's not the best option.

I'm the person that you won't hear from for days on end because I'm trapped in my head. I'm the person that finds it hard to leave the bed/apartment because that means I have to interact with people and pretend my own mind isn't tearing me apart. I find it hard enough to function with my depression and anxiety and personally, the gym isn't going to help.

I don't deserve to be shamed for that. Each person deals with their mental health differently. Some people go to the gym, some do art, some color their hair and get piercings, some watch Netflix. We'll figure out what works for us, but don't shame us because of what works for you.