The Day I Choose Happiness

The Day I Choose Happiness

"Find out where joy resides, and give it a voice far beyond singing. For to miss the joy is to miss all." — Robert Louis Stevenson

24
The Day I Choose Happiness
Quotes Blog

I've been through a lot over the last few years. I've lost people I thought I would have forever. I changed my mind about what I wanted to be when I grew up more times than I can count. I've battled with anxiety and depression, and I still continue to battle with each every day. There was a moment where I thought that everything about my life was useless. I thought that everything I did was stupid and that I would never be able to be okay again. I bottled up all of my emotions and feelings and thoughts and just didn't say anything to anyone about them. I had suicidal thoughts, but the only thing that kept me from going through with it was the feeling of my family mourning me. I could not put my family through that, no parent should ever have to see their child die. So that is the day I decided to choose happiness.

Happiness is different for every human being alive. For some, happiness is watching a movie with the one you love. For others, happiness is watching your child play. For me, happiness is realizing that I can't control everything, some things I have to just let go. Ever since I realized this, my life has been so much happier. See, once I realized that I don't have complete control over everything and that I don't have to have complete control over everything, my life has just seemed more full. Since the day I decided to choose happiness, my life has just seemed a little sweeter and lighter. There's a point where everyone has to realize this, and I am so happy that I realized it when I did, because who knows what would have happened if I hadn't.

People who struggle with depression and anxiety aren't weak, they aren't less than. Those people are the ones who need some extra help sometimes. You don't have to act like those people are fragile, little pieces of glass that could break at any moment. But instead, see them as your family member or your friend and pay them the respect that they deserve and help them in any way possible.

Life is about seeing the world through rose-colored glasses, and loving those who need a little extra love when they need it. If there is someone who needs help seeing the happiness in life, do not belittle them. In turn, be there for them. Support them. Show them that there is happiness beyond what they are feeling right now. Happiness is the key to life, and making the decision to choose it can be the first step in living the best life imaginable.