An Open Letter To My Future Daughter

An Open Letter To My Future Daughter

My heart is already full of so much love for you.
223

To My Future Daughter,

The thought of even having a child right now is one of the scariest things to me, but one of the only things I’m sure of. Who knows when it will be. Five years from now? Ten years? All I know is that someday you will be more than just a dream I have in my head; you will be a real, breathing human. And I have so much I want to tell you already.

The first thing I want you to know is that now matter what, you are loved. I never want you to forget that. There’s days I feel so alone and that I have no one, but my family makes sure to let me know that isn’t the case. And I’ll make sure that you know that isn’t the case for you. You will be so loved, by me, your father (whoever that will be), your grandparents, great-grandparents, uncles ect. No matter how alone you feel, I will do everything to give you the support system my family has given me.

I’ll introduce you to literature like my father did for me. I’ll take you to secluded beaches and mountain hiking like my mother did for me. I’ll introduce you to video-games and game nights like my brothers did for me I’ll take you on random trips to the mall and random movie nights like my grandmother did for me. I want you to experience all I ever have and more.

I’ll be there for your first ballet recital or your first soccer game. I’ll be there for your first day of school and your last (and everyday in between and beyond). I’ll be there for you when you fall off your bike. I’ll be there for you when you get your heartbroken for the first time. I’ll be there for you when your world seems like it’s crashing down. I’ll be there to tell you it’s going to be okay. I promise, I’ll be there.

I can’t wait to be your mom. I know it’s a long ways away and I have so much more of my life to live before I bring you into this world, but there will always be a part of me eagerly anticipating the first day I get to hold you in my arms. Being your mom is going to be the greatest thing I’ve ever done. I can’t wait to meet you and love you and watch you grow up. My heart is already full of so much love for you.

Along with the many good days we’ll have, the bad days we’ll have are inevitable. I know we’ll fight. I know some days you’ll feel like you hate me and some days you’ll feel like I hate you. But I promise, nothing could ever make me hate you. No matter how much we may fight or disagree, I will always love you with everything in me and be grateful for you everyday.

I want to be one of your best friends (even though I have to be your mom first). I want you to feel like you can confide in me, that you can come to me with whatever problem you’re facing in your life at any stage of your life. I just want you to know I will always be there and I will never judge you for the person you will become. I will always support you. I will always love you.

Life isn’t always going to be easy, but I wouldn’t be who I am today if it wasn’t for all the struggles I’ve been through. Some days you’ll feel hopeless and like nothing is going to pan out, but I promise it will. If there is one thing I’ve learned so far in my life, it’s that things always have a way of working themselves out. You just have to be patient and let life run its course (easier said than done, trust me I know all too well). I already can’t wait to see all you’re going to accomplish.

It’ll be weird to read this down the road. When I’m pregnant with you, when you’re finally here, when you can read this yourself. I don’t know where I’ll end up or what I’ll be doing when I have you, but all I know is that one day you will be here and it will be the greatest day of my life.

I can’t wait to meet you, whenever that may be.

Love,

Your Mom