Is Dating A Thing Of The Past?

Is Dating A Thing Of The Past?

Do People Still Go On Dates? Does It Even Still Exist?

527
Is Dating A Thing Of The Past?

"Do people still go on dates?"

My mom has asked me this question on multiple occasions while I have been sitting at my kitchen table.

Now, I know that dating is different for everyone and I know that everyone has a different definition of what dating is. I get that and I understand that. However, despite that, I always answer the question with, "No mom, I don't believe that people really go on dates anymore."

Sadly, I believe dating is a thing of the past, and if I'm being completely honest, I think that's a damn shame. Dating should be a thing of the present.

So, why isn't it? What happened?

Tinder, Bumble, Grinder, or whatever suites your fancy. People don't communicate face to face anymore and there are so many "dating apps" that give you the opportunity to cower behind a screen. And, let's be honest, if you have one of these dating apps, you're not on it to find a relationship. You're swiping right and left based off of appearances, trying to find someone to hook up with or sext. You don't care what kind of person they are.

This generation tends to skip steps, and I'm not counting myself out. I've skipped the "get to know you" portion of things (sorry mom and dad). It's not uncommon. I'm bringing this up because I believe enough is enough.

I WANT TO GO OUT ON A REAL DATE!

I want to go out on a date that doesn't end in you upset because I don't want to make out or have sex afterwords. Then I want a second date and a third and a fourth. These things shouldn't have a timeline. Three dates doesn't mean sex, ten dates doesn't necessarily mean sex. That doesn't make me a prude, or old fashioned. I just think I deserve more than that. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

So, yes, I do believe dating is a thing of the past. But it doesn't have to be. Guys - ask girls out on a date. Girls - ask guys out on a date. It shouldn't matter. Try dating and don't have expectations. If you go out on a date and you don't want to go out on a second one, don't feel bad. Dating shouldn't hold so much pressure.

I propose to bring dating back. I think we need it.

I'm sure I'm not the only one.