3 Tips For Dating The Independent Woman

3 Tips For Dating The Independent Woman

It's a truly remarkable thing.

111
3 Tips For Dating The Independent Woman
The Hero Journal

Dating in college is a struggle all too real on its own before you throw an independent woman into the mix. Not only do we as college students struggle to make time for studying, maintaining our own health and keeping up with our friend and familial relationships, but we also date. Dating in itself is fun and exciting. You're spending time figuring all about someone you have a genuine interest in knowing which ultimately helps you decide rather or not you want to continue knowing them or not. And, eventually you find someone who didn't completely get on your nerves, and that leads to the whole "marriage and a baby carriage" from some of our favorite childhood rhymes that we used to tease our friends.

While that’s all a lot of fun, dating an independent woman is a little different from the norm we all know too well. When you choose to date the independent woman, you're getting on a new kind of ride. While we appreciate that you've dated other women, or you've picked up on the stereotypes and basic tips of dating in our generation...they may not work on us. When we were given the title of being an independent woman, it wasn't in the form of a crown and sash that we only wear on occasion for public appearances. It was a lifestyle that we fit perfectly and take pride in living. So I'll share a few helpful tips to dating the independent woman.

1. We like our space

When I say that we like our space, I genuinely mean it. We crave our alone time and don't mind one bit when you want to have a night out on the town with the guys. All that we ask in return is that when we say we want a night to ourselves that you respect that. Sometimes spending quality time alone with ourselves reading or just catching up on our favorite show is our way of getting that much-needed relaxation and stress relief from our day to day lives. If we go off grid and don't text you much during the day except to let you know that we're alive, don't be offended. We honestly do care about you and don't mean anything by not communicating for a few hours. Honestly, we were probably napping or just busy enjoying some much needed "me" time.

2. Buying meals

I know that in that dating world, we constantly assume that men are automatically supposed to buy the dinner and pay for the whole date. While we appreciate the gesture, don't be offended when your date offers to pay for her food or the entire meal. It may be hard to swallow your pride and accept that, but buying our own meals from time to time when we go out makes we feel solid in the relationship too. We've grown up with this idea that men are the providers in a relationship, but for the independent woman that can be offensive. We like to take care of ourselves. So, if we offer to buy dinner one night, don't take it to heart as an insult. Be excited to see that we want to put in just as much effort as you do into maintaining our relationship. We like the equality of it.

3. PDA

Chances are on your college campus you can't go far without seeing couples all cuddled up between classes. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that, but when you date a woman who prides herself in her independence, she may not be fond of you hovering all over her like a possession in public. She likes that when you go out people can comfortably approach without feeling like they're interrupting an intimate moment. After all, you're in public. That's not to say she's not going to hug you or hold your hand. It's just putting more of an emphasis of wanting to be seen as your partner and friend. Not your overly attached girlfriend. This can go hand in hand with the "we like our space" tip above. Our lack of wanting to show crazy affection in public is not to say we don't in private. We just have more of a tendency to focus on the 'time and place' aspects a little more than most.

Dating the independent woman is a truly remarkable thing, and if you're lucky enough to date someone with those qualities. Hold on to her (but not too tight). The independent woman can be an amazing asset to have. Not only does she enjoy all the simple and fun relationship things, she brings a few of her own that allow you both to grow and learn together while not merely being a couple, but by putting emphasis on being two people who genuinely mesh well together and work just as well on their own.