Coming Up: Cuyahoga Falls Kayak Race

Coming Up: Cuyahoga Falls Kayak Race

April 22nd, 2017

36
Coming Up: Cuyahoga Falls Kayak Race
(Owned by Author)

In late April of 2016, we kicked off the first annual Cuyahoga Falls Kayak Race. Despite our initial expectations of it being a rather local and grassroots event, the race became wildly successful. We attracted highly skilled paddlers, hundreds of spectators, and an unprecedented scheduled release. Overlooks were full, mass media was on scene, and even the Mayor of Cuyahoga Falls himself took an active role in supporting what we do. In every definition of the word, it was a massive success.

Needless to say - it's time to do it again. With the continued support of organizations such as World Kayak, riverside businesses such as the Sheraton Suites, and the government of Cuyahoga Falls, the race is growing. We will be kicking off on April 22nd, 2017 with the additional bonus of an entire extra release day for additional paddling. With our added support and a year's worth of planning time, we expect this year's turnout to be even greater, and are ready to create a memorable event for families, outdoors enthusiasts, and local residents across Northeast Ohio.

The Falls

This short but steep series of drops and waterfalls, known locally as the "Sheraton Section," exists alongside Front Street and Route 8 in Cuyahoga Falls in Northeast Ohio. Defined by two distinct drops as well as numerous ledges and holes, the Sheraton Section drops approximately 60 feet before emptying into a relatively benign gorge.

The signature rapids of the run consist of Rookie Drop, Welcome to the Jumble/Staircase, and The Jumble. Rookie Drop consists of a jagged slide with a notable hydraulic in the middle, culminating in an ~8 foot ledge. Not far downstream from Rookie, Staircase is a larger (and considerably more dangerous) waterfall with a double-drop on the left and a boof line on the right. Regardless of which line is chosen, Staircase empties into a dynamic and sieved-out rock garden known as The Jumble, after which the river begins to mellow out.

Rookie drop - 1st Drop

Welcome to the Jumble - 2nd Drop

Unlike many rivers in the region, the Sheraton Section is known for its vast array of runnable flows and nearly year-round paddling. It's been paddled as low as less than 200 cubic feet per second and as high as over 2000, with race flows averaging 650. (For an extremely low, unrunnable look at the falls, follow this link). Race flows create a pushy yet padded river, with multiple lines opening up. Some paddlers - myself included - consider it ideal.

Logistically, it is an extremely convenient paddle, and can be run without shuttle at average flows. Lapping the entire section (or just one of its drops) is an easy task, and if shuttle is set, the put-in and take-out are only a short drive down the road. For those who prefer a warm-up, one can put-in farther upstream above a series of surf spots.

Given the potential consequences of the river, including sieves, retentive hydraulics, and debris, ratings for the river vary from Class IV-V, with greater severity at higher flows.

The Race

Paddlers:

The Cuyahoga Falls Kayak Race begins slightly above the aforementioned section, and ends slightly beneath it, for a total distance of approximately half a mile. Start times are close but staggered, allowing for safe separation between boaters without compromising the fast-paced action that drives the spectator appeal. In a manner similar to numerous whitewater races, but unlike slalom, this event is a single time-trial. Final time is calculated from start to finish, without gates or penalty fees, and with a separate class for longboats.

2016's median race time was approximately five minutes and fourteen seconds, with Ross Crocker's longboat win at four minutes and fifty seconds. Saturday morning will be open for practice laps, and a recreational release will extend into Sunday for additional paddling.

The entry fee for paddlers is $20.

For race diagrams and further information courtesy of Donald Howdyshell, follow this link.

Spectators:

The Sheraton Suites in Cuyahoga Falls is a noted supporter of the race, and allows a great view of the course from their overlook, with an additional view of the upper section of the course for bar patrons. A public pedestrian walkway crosses the gorge a few hundred yards downstream, and a riverside boardwalk leads to an upstream observation deck, above the first waterfall.

In keeping with Cuyahoga Falls's reputation as a recreation-friendly city, numerous opportunities for free public parking exist, including a large lot directly across from the Sheraton as well as an upstream lot at the put-in. The riverside boardwalk, Downtown Cuyahoga Falls, and numerous local businesses act as additional attractions, and the downstream Gorge Metro Park provides beautiful trail hiking along the Cuyahoga River.

See: Things To Do In Cuyahoga Falls

This event is free for spectators.

For any further questions or press inquiries, or if you are interested in becoming involved as a volunteer or sponsor, feel free to contact CF Kayak Race.

Further Reading

Official Race Website

Official Race Video: 2016

American Whitewater River Data

POV: Race Line Demonstration

Bobby Miller: 2016 Post-Race Write-Up

Akron Beacon Journal: 2016

All pictures owned by author.

Special thanks to Mayor Don Walters of Cuyahoga Falls, Brad McBride of Burning River Adventures, and Don, Nic, and Tommy of CF Kayak Race for their amazing support. This article does not represent the official opinion of CF Kayak Race, American Whitewater, the City of Cuyahoga Falls, or any other business or organization.