15 Differences You Can't Help But Notice As An American Traveling To London

Some things you just can't ignore...

87
https://az616578.vo.msecnd.net/files/2018/03/29/636579373453274703-1968011587_20180307_111835.jpg

I recently went on my second trip to London. I love traveling and any chance I get to do it, I go for it. With that being said, anyone who travels out of the country knows that the culture you go to is usually vastly different than here in America. So here are fifteen cultural differences from London that I can never ignore.

1. No Tipping Waiters

Most of the time it’s because the charge is already included in the menu. Plus, I’m pretty sure they get paid more of a minimum wage over there so go them. I tried to tip a guy once and he looked at me like I was an idiot and this is how I looked back.

2. ALWAYS stand on the right side of the escalator

If you don’t you will get run over. Londoners are no joke when it comes to getting where they need to go.

3. NO WASHCLOTHS

To this day I am still just dazed and confused as to why washcloths are not a thing in London! How do they survive without such an essential product? I was out there using my hands, MY HANDS, to wash my body with my liquid soap. It was tragic.

4. You pay for your grocery bags

Yeah, they’re grocery bags are five cents each. However, if you buy a reusable bag for a dollar and bring it back then you obviously don't have the need for a wasteful plastic bag that hurts the environment. I’m all for that but I would have liked to know beforehand so I wasn't out here spending 15 cents on plastic bags. I’m a college student on a budget.

5. Nobody carries guns

Not even the police. Which then makes civilians not have the need for them either. There are actually special police that have to be called that are trained for years with guns if they are needed in a situation. It’s quite civil. Makes me think somewhere ELSE in the world might need something like that…

6. No convenient plugins

\

Not one by the bed or in the bathroom. Do I need to say more?

7. Milk goes in your tea

Don't knock it til’ you try it. It’s almost like another version of coffee but with tea and it’s not half bad. Plus, they get all fancy when they have tea and serve it to you in an actual teapot, hot, with matching teacups and everything. I’ve never felt more royal or important in my life.

8. They don't refrigerate their eggs

All I’m saying is...I don't understand. There is no connection as to why or how this even works for them but I’m confused.

9. Baked Beans for breakfast

Yeah...no.

10. They only use real sugar

Not once did I see a Splenda packet or something along those lines. This then means that everything there that is usually sweet here is more bitter, like chocolate. This doesn't make it bad or anything, it just makes it different. But I was craving some sugar coming back.

11. No talking on public transportation

You could hear a fly fart on the subway. Everyone is either reading the newspaper or on the phone and just sitting there. It’s kind of creepy because it’s like they’re all robots moving in a machine to where they want to go. I like to talk so this was me the whole time we were on the metro.

12. No drive-thrus

Yeah, no late night runs anywhere because drive-thrus don’t exist. Actually, fast food doesn't exist. I tried to get it once from this burger joint and they fully cooked it and everything for me before I got to take it home 30 minutes later. This probably explains why obesity isn’t killing their citizens.

13. Never have I ever seen a gas station

There are cars and buses everywhere but not ONCE have I seen a gas station. Which brings up my question...how are you all still driving? Where do you keep your gas? (And I know they take gas because they have the same hole in the sides of their cars...plus I asked a taxi driver.)

14. Cancer for all

One thing they have not caught onto is that smoking is bad for you. Everyone and their mother smokes. It’s actually pretty disgusting and causes you to reek of smoke if you stay somewhere where a lot of people are doing it.

15. Where are the children?

Okay, this is weird but I noticed that I saw no children anywhere that I went at any time. The only time I did finally see them during my week stay, was on Saturday. Other than that, during the week, it was like they were hidden away in their cute little school uniforms in Hogwarts or something.