Cultural Competence: ISIS Edition

Cultural Competence: ISIS Edition

Discussing ISIS in a way that does not contribute to the problem is something we can all do, and should.
10

Disclaimer:

In no way am I blaming the U.S., France or the United Kingdom for the actions taken by ISIS. However, I am blaming us for the perpetuation that Muslims are evil, and Islam is causing these attacks.

The Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) started in the Middle East, and is spreading throughout the world. This extremist group does not have a single head of operation, much unlike previous terrorist groups such as the Taliban or Al-Qaeda, which makes it nearly impossible to kill swiftly, like we like to pretend.

(Sorry Trump, but putting "troops on the ground" does not solve the whole problem.)

Little did you know, the end goal of ISIS is not to kill every single Western person that comes into contact with them, although it does seem to be a symptom of the problem.

Unfortunately, the best way they recruit is by showing young, vulnerable Middle Eastern kids the propaganda that is being spewed against them, especially in the United States. (Looking at you, Tomi Lahren.)

When you see entire "news" networks defaming your religion, your culture, and your country, you tend to get angry, as Republicans can certainly admit to.

These kids that they recruit are alone and scared, and they create the same mentality as a gang or a cult. ISIS provides safety for them (from them) and revenge against the people causing them rejection and hurt.

Now, their main target was never America, or France, or England, but since the outlandish criticism of all things Middle East (or all things "not like us"), they have started attacking the people who talk the worst about them. People in the Middle East are attacked on a daily basis, and while the media does not focus on that as much, the sure do focus on attacks in London, Orlando, and Paris. For every attack in a Western nation, there are way more in the Middle East. While these attacks should be covered they need to covered in a different way.

ISIS is NOT the same as Islam.

Just like the KKK is NOT Christianity, they are not the same. Until you read the Qur'an and understand what Islam is really about, stop telling people it's a violent religion. Religions by nature are not violent, and Islam certainly is not. We need to ensure we are not portraying all Muslims as terrorists. Seeing a man wearing a turban on an airplane and fearing for the flight's welfare is institutionalized discrimination, and we need to stop painting it as okay. The claim that you can't help it is no longer an excuse. Train yourself to be tolerant, or keep quiet.

American airports are doing security wrong, in my opinion. Instead of searching every fifth person, what if we only targeted people who fit the description of someone who may be planning an attack on a plane? By this, I don't mean all Muslim-looking people. I mean men, age 20-50, as that makes up almost the entire demographic of ISIS members. Women and children have not been found to be a national security threat, and while profiling is a necessary evil, we are doing it wrong.

This idea is rough, and not perfect, as I am no expert, but I think it's safe to say we can be smarter about who we are spending our time on, and who we should be taking closer looks at. If you are a man age 20-50 who travels often, or is not planning on bringing explosives on your trip, there is a security bypass you can apply for, which puts you on a list that let's you skip the security check. This would cut down on sheer time needed for every single man age 20-50.

But all in all, it boils down to this: If you do not believe you are culturally competent enough to discuss Middle Eastern relations, then don't. The way we are handling our relationship with Muslim Americans, evem Muslims across the world, is wrong and insensitive.

We, as civilians, cannot stop ISIS. It will take a long time, and a complex plan. But we can help stop propaganda of Muslims' evilness.