Creativity, Innovation, and Young People

Entrepreneurship seems to be the dominant theme all around me this summer.

640
ChoralNet

Something known as the entrepreneurial spirit is spreading across the globe and flooding the hearts of so many young people today. I like this term because it refers to the mindset and mentality of a person - not just what they do but the drive in it. This new mindset brings the understanding that, as young persons in this day and age, change has to be made by us. Waiting for a change to happen from the elderly generation is paradoxical seeing as it's our own future we have to look forward to and not theirs. This article is a little exploration on creativity and innovation in young people.

Entrepreneurship refers mostly to a business or enterprise but the mentality behind the assumption of risks for such ventures is remarkable. According to this list, passion, a craving for more than the ordinary, and action are main features of this mentality. Being passionate about any given line of work by always working to be different from and better than others doing the same thing is a characteristic found in so many young entrepreneurs today.

While you may think of people like the founder of the jackpot that is Snapchat, this spirit is glaring in the different teenagers that are committed to ambitions, like starting summer camps for less privileged children, or heading the first shoe-making business in their country. Such dreams haven't yet been actualized but have found their founders on the path to continuous learning about and investing in what might not even work.

I see and read about a lot of young people who have actualized a Plan B in the event their degrees don't cut it because that is the reality of so many graduates today. Skill acquisition and developing are currently on the rise - it is now popular to be able to do something apart from going to school. Blogging, photography, music, filmmaking, and fashion design are some of the passions young people have today. People always need to wear clothes, need photo coverage of an event, and need to enjoy music. I learn of Nigerian networks every single day that are headed by young people who are driven to do something for themselves and their society.

Creativity is amazing. It lets you think for yourself so you can break out of the box you are socialized into right from birth. As a teenager in this current world, I find photography and writing to be highly sufficient outlets for me. I know entrepreneurs who live to dress people are fulfilled when their consumers look good in the threads they make. Everyone is blessed with the entrepreneurial spirit; the spirit to do more than the basics and excel at it.

"When all think alike, then no one is thinking." - Walter Lippman