Coupon Apps That Will Save You Countless Dollars

You won't have to bust open the piggy bank with the help of these money-saving deals

54

No matter who you are, chances are you’re not going to pass up an opportunity to save a few bucks. The poor are all too familiar with having to stretch a dollar as far as it can go. The rich want to hold on to their precious funds in order to maintain their coveted rank on the socioeconomic ladder. The mere mortals who fall somewhere in the middle of this financial spectrum are constantly looking for opportunities to save money. If you’re a broke college student like myself, there are not many experiences that rival the overwhelming sense of satisfaction you feel when you score an incredible deal. I actually feel powerful when I see coupons and store offers taking dollars off items that had once been much more expensive. I can identify with the bargain-crazed shoppers featured on TLC’s “Extreme Couponing," although I am nowhere close to being as professional and efficient with my coupons as they are. I’d gladly go shopping with them and jot down a few notes in the process.

Although money can buy many things, it is widely said that it cannot buy happiness. Family, friends, achievements, and experiences are amongst the invaluable facets that constitute genuine happiness. I admit that those things are important. However, money can buy five dollar seasonal lattes at Starbucks and prestige brand cosmetics at Sephora. Both are items that can lift my spirits rather substantially on days when I feel like the universe is conspiring against me. Therefore, in my humble opinion, money is capable of purchasing temporary happiness. This happiness can come at a much cheaper cost with the assistance of one of the greatest assets to consumers: the almighty coupon.

With the extensive capacities of modern technology, shoppers now have access to apps that can help them save more money than ever before. Conversely, having constant internet access can be troublesome to bank accounts because the temptation to online shop follows you everywhere. At least the shopping is somewhat justified since there’s almost always a coupon for a large scope of brands if you’re willing to dig for it. The apps that promote these coupons offer consumers a convenient method of saving, one which spares them from the cluttered mess of paper squares that cutting coupons entails. These apps are quick, easy to navigate, versatile and effective. Here are just a few that can make your next shopping spree take a much lighter toll on your wallet:

1. Retailmenot

This app allows you to browse stores by category, which leads to quick and easy savings. You can search for any retail store in the engine at the top of the app, and chances are Retailmenot has a coupon to apply to use either in store or online. It also offers international coupons for the convenience of anyone who’s on the go.

2. Shopkick

This unique app does the unthinkable - it rewards you for shopping! After downloading the app, shoppers earn "kicks", reward points that can be redeemed for gift cards. Kicks are accrued by simply visiting stores, scanning items, purchasing items with a credit card linked to the app, submitting receipts for KickBate items, and/or inviting friends to use the app. The more of these steps you take, the more money you can earn!

3. Snipsnap

Snipsnap adapts the old-fashioned method of couponing to the new era of iPhones and Androids. With this app, you can snap pictures of printed coupons and the app will recognize the text and images to turn it into a mobile offer. This hassle-free tool ensures that you won't miss out on a deal by forgetting your coupons at home. You can also search through an extensive database to find coupons you may have missed when pouring through ads and catalogs.

4. Ibotta

Ibotta isn't exactly a couponing app, but it has the potential to earn you money from purchases you'd regularly make, such as grocery items. Before you shop with Ibotta, you scroll through the app to unlock rebates. If you purchase a featured product at the store, you capture an image of your receipt and earn instant cash back. Instead of feeling pressured to buy things you normally wouldn't, you can stick to your usual grocery list and earn money in the process.

5. Groupon

Groupon offers countless deals on things to do, see, eat, and purchase in any location. Groupon is a great savings tool in many places--- its services extend to over 28 countries. The catch with Groupon is you only get the deal if a fixed number of people in your area purchase the same item on the same day. That's why this company's name is a hybrid of the words "group" and "coupon".

6. Scoutmob

While this app offers users killer deals in their area, it also alerts them of cool events that are occurring within a reasonable distance. It provides articles chronicling the happenings in one's city. One of the app's principle missions is to help users stay in the know about what's worth checking out in their area. It combines these alerts with deals that just can't be refused.

7. Campus Special

The name of this app makes it pretty obvious that it was designed with college students in mind. Considering that the vast majority of us are broke and/or sick of the disenchanting dining hall food, Campus Special comes in handy for ordering food in your area. Not only does it make ordering food simple, it also provides opportunities to save money with loyalty points and available promos offered by the venue. As a college student, I can honestly say that food is what I spend the most money on. Therefore, Campus Special can be highly beneficial to student funds.

8. Cartwheel

Target has pretty much everything you could want, and this Target exclusive app gets you discounts ranging from 5-50 percent off store items. To add to the benefits, these discounts can be used in conjunction with other manufacturer coupons. Just imagine all of the green that will stay warm and snug in your wallet! On this app, you simply pick the coupons you want, and then select "my Cartwheel", which will bring up your barcode that the cashier will scan to apply all discounts. Couponing has never been easier.

9. The Coupons App

The Coupons App is fun and easy to use, offering deals from over 100,000 retailers and exclusive giveaways in their weekly contests. It features calendar reminders for when your deals are approaching expiration. If you're super forgetful like me, you're all too familiar with the feeling that results after being positive you have an awesome coupon to use at Bath and Body Works, only to be told by the cashier that it's expired--- thus, having to pay full price for your pocket-sized hand sanitizer. In an ideal world, nobody would have to pay full price for anything with the help of The Coupon App's friendly discount reminders.

You now have no reason to guilt yourself out of your next shopping trip. These couponing apps will hopefully help you buy a little slice of happiness. You're welcome.