Count Your Blessings
Politics

Count Your Blessings

Living freely comes at a price.

11
Count Your Blessings
Wikipedia

In a world where terrorists attack based on religion, and people die from starvation, and millions are living on worldly acclaimed battle-fields, it’s a miracle America can smile another year and celebrate Independence Day. Independence Day is an appreciation for the lives and community America has created amongst the land, however, the hardships should not be forgotten. We live in a world where going to a night club, or church or school isn’t safe anymore. We live in a world where people are scared to walk to their car late at night. We live in a world where teenagers enlist in a government force and risk their lives for the rest of the country to live in harmony. The world is not a safe place. And it is because of that America can look at what they do have, and what they have sustained and celebrate that they have lived to see another Independence Day!

We live in a world that kills. We live in a world that hurts. We live in a world where some people suffer greatly for others to sleep peacefully in their beds. My stepfather was one who suffered greatly, I remember him waking up from naps in nightmares from his memories of the war. I remember the burden he carried. But I also remember the comfort I found in having him near. When I was about 10, I had a dream so vivid I still remember it today. My family and I went to Walmart for groceries, I told my mom we had run out of conditioner and she told me to go get some and meet her back in the food aisle. As I entered the shampoo and conditioner aisle, a grown man started talking to me. I tried to be polite and respond back, while slowly moving away because I did not know him. The farther I moved away the closer he got, until his hand was on me. I let out a small scream before he gripped his hand over my neck to seize the sound. And then, my stepfather was there. He attacked the guy, and I watched with awe thinking, ‘he loves me enough to take the pain I cannot.’

What is the relevance of my 10-year-old nightmare? That is exactly what the government forces are doing for our country. While the world is scary, and unsafe, there are people that love the country in which we live enough to sacrifice their own safety for the safety of America. Although it is scary to walk the street at night, there are cops risking their lives in order to allow us to walk home safely. And while there are terrorists and extremist trying to exterminate those that do not abide by their way of living, we have the Army, Military, Air Force, and Navy doing their best to lessen and prevent inhumane actions from happening in the land we live. The world is not safe. And it is because of that Independence Day is so special. It is a day to be exalted. Because the things we fear to sacrifice, are being sacrificed for us. From people younger and older. From real heroes. Whether they are in your neighborhood, or fighting a war thousands of miles away. We can smile at another day thanks to those who care enough to sacrifice themselves for us.