Coronavirus causing many to fear travel

Coronavirus causing many to fear travel

Phoenix and Tempe residents share their fears or travel as a result of the Coronavirus

3
Coronavirus causing many to fear travel

Phoenix residents said the Coronavirus outbreak caused them to fear international travel.

Their fear prevented them from booking flights and traveling to different countries.

The worry of catching the virus from different parts around the globe minimized the desire to travel.

"The coronavirus puts a hold on traveling which is a really big thing because it's part of our daily lives," said Brittany White in front of Fry's in Downtown Phoenix.

Majid Alzidjali, an Arizona State University student from the Middle East, said traveling is the scariest matter right now because the virus could be anywhere.

The fear of the Coronavirus continues to sweep the globe as a potential pandemic.

The Centers for Disease Control said over 200,000 cases of the Coronavirus, now known as COVID-19, have been reported.

The virus is a member of the Coronavirus family and is originated from animals, it causes symptoms similar to that of Pneumonia such as difficulty breathing, fever, and coughing.

The coronavirus caused countries who rely on tourism to fear for their futures.

The recent outbreak of the virus in Tempe, Arizona shows the global impact of the virus.

Majid Alzidjali said he was scared of the virus breaking out on campus and being so close to him because he traveled so far to come here.

"I got scared, to be honest, because we traveled a long distance to come study here," Majid Alzidjali said. "Hearing about the virus reaching here got us scared and terrified."

Frankie McLister, a Graduate Student at ASU's Downtown campus, said the virus' emergence in Arizona shows how the virus can appear anywhere.

"We're the fifth-largest city," Frankie McLister said, "We're not the number one biggest city. We're a secluded city in the desert, but it shows how global Phoenix is."

Many residents said travel companies have taken action based on the travel bans put in place by the government.

Frankie McLister supports the government's actions in response to the Coronavirus as well as the precautions taken by travel companies.

"I think they have recognized the issue. A lot of flights have been canceled," McLister affirmed. "If you don't want something from somewhere else to come here, how else do you do it?"

McLister further explained how the United States Government has a lot of security measures for many different issues and they are taking necessary precautions for the Coronavirus.

One Phoenix resident disagreed that if the government is hiding the extent of this potential pandemic, that would not be okay.

"I feel like if the government is not telling us the extent of the issue it's not fair," Majid Alzidjali said. "But if they did tell us it would be scarier."

The fears surrounding the virus, including travel, continue to rise among Phoenix residents.

Frankie McLister related the Coronavirus to past pandemics that have occurred.

"If it's spreading that fast with hundreds and hundreds of cases, I do think every now and then about the Bubonic Plague you learn about in Medieval class," McLister said. "What if it happened to us, that would be insane!"

From Your Site Articles