Maybe We Should All Cool Down On This Political Stuff

Let's back off the candidates we hate before we become the candidates we hate.

16
people-i-hate.com

Before I begin this article, I’m going to state my position on the current election: I don’t like any of them. I think they’re all the political equivalent of circus freaks and don’t find a single one of them fit to be president. That doesn’t mean that I don’t agree with some of their stances on individual issues, but I can’t picture myself in the voting booth this election. I was a big supporter of Obama, though I was too young to vote at the time, so if that gives any perspective, there it is.

I try to avoid political discussion. It’s always an argument, never a discussion. Also, it just doesn’t interest me. I’m not much of an artist, but I’ve always felt that art and politics should never mix, and I’m more artistically-minded than political. However, I can’t avoid politically-charged memes and tirades spreading across Facebook like that time the foreign exchange student brought herpes to my high school. As much as I dislike them, though, politics are important. I can deal with that. What I can’t deal with, however, is hate speech and totalitarian bullying. These are the “Vote (for my preferred candidate) or Die” crowds. I think they’re infecting both sides, but because I don’t tend to get along with Republicans, most of the perpetrators I see fall to the left side.

I don’t typically comment on Republican politics because I’ve never agreed with them. Conservatism is a language I can’t speak. I used to consider myself Democratic, but recent trends in the party have pushed me away. What drew me to the left side was that it was very free speech, open to any lifestyle. Today, it seems like the Social Media Gestapo only want the freedom to say what the consensus deems “moral.”

I’m going to get this off my chest right now: Donald Trump is not the modern equivalent of Hitler. Saying mean things and promoting a racist agenda isn’t the same as killing six million people. I know people who talk mad shit, but that doesn’t mean they’re going to literally go kill somebody. It’s just not the same. (For the record, I didn’t like Trump before he began running for president; he’s done nothing to make me any fonder of him since.) It’s funny to see the people railing against someone for being “Fascist” approaching the issue so, well, fascistlly. If Amiri King is a Trump supporter, you shouldn’t blow his comments up with how it’s career suicide. He has the right to support whoever he wants. If you can watch "Rosemary's Baby" despite the fact that Roman Polanski is a sex criminal, then you can suck it up. For a camp so big on having “dialogues” (which might be the most pretentious name for a conversation since “palaver”), the discussion always seems one-sided. You guys should represent yourself with understanding, listen to the other side, even if you don’t agree, and present your side respectfully. Just because someone doesn’t see eye-to-eye with you doesn’t mean they’re mentally-stunted. Condescension won’t win anyone over. Think of your favorite teacher and how they treated the class. Now compare that to your least favorite teachers and why their methods failed. (Typically, I think most people are going to prefer the encouraging teacher who listens to students and learns how to speak to each student.) Which of these teachers are you mirroring? Would you want someone talking to you as you’re lecturing these other online profiles?

Also, if you want somebody to murder Hillary Clinton, can you just be upfront about it? Like, I’m not a huge Hillary fan, but I’ve never seen such violent reaction to somebody like her. That’s great that Bernie Sanders knows more about some shitty band (Coheed & Cambria) than her, but what does that have to do with the election? He’s just perfect and she’s an idiot all the time? That doesn’t seem like the most mature approach to politics, but whatever.

Whoever you support, if anyone, the best you can do is respect everyone else. If you don’t like how Donald Trump treats Muslim people, don’t treat Donald Trump supporters how Donald Trump treats Muslim people. The candidates come off as cartoon characters, but we can be the bigger people here. We all want what’s best for the country (I hope), so let’s work together to come to the best, most informed conclusion on this.