Cookies, Pies, and Doughnuts...Oh My!

Cookies, Pies, and Doughnuts...Oh My!

Working in a bakery can be both rewarding and stressful.

31
Cookies, Pies, and Doughnuts...Oh My!
Do Savannah

Working in a bakery definitely has its perks and downsides. When I was 16, I got my first job at a local bakery known as Delicious Orchards located in Colts Neck, New Jersey. I am now 21 years old and I am still working there, which makes it five years straight, which is a long time. It feels like just yesterday that I was still a tiny junior in high school who just started her first job. I wouldn't change it for the world, though. Those who have ever worked in a bakery all share a common bond. If you have a dangerous sweet tooth like me, working in a bakery could be your best friend or your absolute worst enemy. You get to see the beauty of the pastries being made, as well as learn new recipes.

Here are 3 things that people who work in a bakery have in common:

1. You get to eat and bring home the leftovers. (E.g. doughnuts, pies, cookies, etc.)

This was and still is my favorite part about working where I work. After five years of working there, you would think I would get sick of all of the sweets. That is absolutely not true. With endless apple cider donuts, every type of cookie you can imagine, and to-die-for pies, how could you stop? To this day, I still eat something every time I go into my job. So as you can see, I have no self-control. That is something that us people have who work in a bakery share. We always say "we are going on diets," or "we have gained so much weight since we started working here!" It is a very bittersweet feeling.

2. You despise the holiday season.

Yes, we all love the fall, but we all know that is the same time when the biggest holidays roll around. When working in a bakery, you hate the fall because "it is the busiest season." It makes us go crazy. With the millions of customers barging in demanding for their sweet treats and asking the common question, is this fresh? You start to go crazy. Pies, cookies, and doughnuts are being thrown around and you're constantly running around. Busy is an understatement. Even though you are stressed and overwhelmed you still have to keep a bright bubbly smile on your face. You crave the holidays, but at the same time, you cringe when they come because you know work is going to be insanely busy. By the end of the day, you are covered in cream and are all messy. This is a day in a life of a bakery sales employee during the holiday season.

3. Your work friends become your best friends.

When you come into work, feeling tired or in a bad mood, your coworkers just get it. You share the same common love for your job, but look at each other when you've had a nasty customer. You spend most of your week with your employees and you become the best of friends. You get coffee with them, eat lunch with them, and joke with them. Life is all about building relationships. A person you never thought you would've clicked with, you grow a very strong bond with. This happened with many people I work with and I have stayed friends with them. You know they will always be there and always know how to cheer you up when working a long shift!

Working in a bakery really gives you all-around job experience. You improve your organizational skills, have to know how to be accommodating to all types of people, you always have to be on your toes. Working in a bakery is a fun, on the move job. It is the best first job as a teenager!