You Can Make That $22 Postmates Meal For Literally $10 At Publix, Stop Destroying Your Wallet

How to change your diet and savings by returning to traditional values.

89

In a modern world where frozen dinners have been replaced by fast food, many of us have ditched the old-time value of cooking and have succumbed to profitable apps such as Uber-eats, Seamless, and Postmates. These apps aim to lure us in and swipe our cards without properly assessing if what we are ordering is worth the actual money.

From my experience the average food delivery cost rounds up to a whopping $22, tip not included. Now you would think that for that price the food would be top notch and also in large quantities.

Unfortunately, most of the quantities given by many of these companies are the equivalent to a happy meal at McDonald's. Sad to say we still order and enjoy the meals from these restaurants even though many fail to fulfill our taste buds and appetite.

Why have we forgotten the importance of cooking, of being able to make the perfect meal that we prefer? Why have we as a modern generation lost touch with the basic skill of being able to cook?

Cooking should be a lesson that should be initiated at home and perfected over time. Basic recipes such as scrambled eggs, pancakes, or even a simple chicken dinner, should be the well known by adulthood. Why is it that we pride our shame of not knowing how to cook?

We instead as students, parents, and as a society should aim to use our money toward purchasing groceries and creating our own balanced meals. Known as one of the most obese countries in the world, Americans should aim at creating home cooked meals and offering to themselves a transparent and balanced plate.

Why crave ready-made food, when you can make the exact same thing at home for a cheaper cost while knowing all the ingredients present in your dish. Not only will this help to reduce health risks and complications, but will have your wallet feeling well used, instead of abused. Instead of using our apps to order food, use them instead to copy recipes.

With televised programming such as Food Network, even the basic of cooks can make a professional meal. We attend school for years upon years learning through following directions and imitating steps, yet we fail to do that in our own kitchens. It is not difficult to turn on your tv, laptop, or even your phone, and watch videos with step by step directions on how to make a recipe. So why not do it?

The excuse for many is long work hours, fatigue, depression, or most commonly "cooking is too much work." But guess what, those excuses are as lame as your savings. You can easily find 15 to 30-minute quick fix meals that provide all the basic nutrients needed, or simply meal prep.

If you are someone who works every day of the week, meal prepping is an easy and trendy way of ensuring balanced home cooked meals for every eating period of the week. Many of these meal prep meals include protein, vegetables, and grain, all necessary for maintaining a proper diet.

So it is time to stop making excuses, swiping our cards for take-out from overpriced restaurants, and start swiping for fresh groceries and opting for a home cooked meal instead. It may seem intimidating at first, but not everyone starts out as a natural Martha Stewart. Just give it a try and you will see how easy it is, and maybe one day you'll be on tv teaching me a new authentic recipe!