Controversy At Elizabethtown College: The White Puzzle Piece

And why it makes me proud to be a Blue Jay.

321
Coaching and Consulting

It seems as though the most interesting things at your school happen while you're away. Recently, my school, Elizabethtown College, has gained media attention from a campaign organized by the College Democrats intended to get the student body thinking about privilege.

The campaign involves students wearing a white puzzle piece pin to help them think about their white privilege. Conversations about privilege are hard to have sometimes, but they are necessary to help understand the perspectives of others in society.

Some find that while the idea behind the campaign is good, the way the club is going about it isn't quite right. Some noted that the puzzle piece is traditionally seen as a symbol for Autism awareness, and others found that wearing the pin was a sort of "brag" that the wearer is aware of their privilege, and therefore better than someone who was not wearing it. Of course these are all opinions, and it is up to the individual to form their own thoughts on what the campaign means to them. Either way, I personally find the initiative of the College Democrats to be admirable in its mission, because I do see privilege at my school (including myself as well), and it's much better to talk about it than pretend that it doesn't exist.

There are many opinions on the campaign ranging from outrage to full support, but there's one thing I find extremely troubling.

Naturally, I read through the comments on some of the videos regarding the campaign, and I must say I was absolutely appalled by some of the things being said. What was even more troubling (or less troubling, I suppose) was that the hateful things being flung at students were not coming from other students, but from parents of students and other adults who are supposed to be "mature." The things I saw were not mature in the slightest. I noted one man's comments about the weight of the student who appeared in the video to explain the campaign. Not only is her weight completely irrelevant to the initiative of the club, but it is rude and completely uncalled for to ever comment on the appearance, health, and weight of a complete stranger.

What was most heartening for me to hear was the response from the College Republicans.

Not only were the students extremely respectful in disagreement, but they condemned the hateful comments being thrown at their peers and indicated they are open to further conversation about the issue. It's nice to know that people are still open to discussion and agreeing to disagree without resorting to name-calling and vulgarities.

All in all, this campaign has made me proud to be from my school, no matter what side of the political spectrum, because both sides have shown that they are open for discussion, respectful, and mature. I hope that we, the students, continue to grow and work together to change society for the better. As for "mature" adults, perhaps you could learn a thing or two.