How The Connections Program Shaped My Future

"...in diversity there is beauty and there is strength.” — Maya Angelou

12
Kathy Suqui

We all have that college friend we know we could have never made it without. They're similar to us in so many ways and we find it hard to picture high school without their unending support and late-night baking sprees. But what if you weren't so similar? What if you simply came from such different homes that they were quick to speed off in search of their one true college twin. What if they didn't take the time to picture themselves in your shoes and you weren't given the opportunity to return the favor?

These thoughts are reminiscent of the negative mentality that would rule over college application season my senior year of high school. I was afraid that because of where I came from, a public school in the heart of northern Jersey, my peers would see me differently. Jersey musicians I had admired back then would admit that whenever they met someone new and revealed their roots in the great Garden State, people would look at them "like they just got out of prison." While, I thought it was an amusing reaction, I started to ponder if my new college friends would care at all about my beloved, rough-around-the-edges home state. By senior year, tough financial times resulted in my collection of hand-me-down winter shirts and converse sneakers worn down to the soles. While I felt relatively comfortable in my skin, I could not shake the fact that many people would not understand why I dressed the way I did; many may go on to judge me as unstylish and some may recognize me as poor, but very few may take a chance at getting to know me after the initial judgments.

The last of the perceptions I spent significant time fussing over is disconcerting, yet poignantly true. My skin, an olived tan, was never much of a concern until I stumbled across the statistics on some of the general "dream schools." University X had only 2% Latinos enrolled while University Y could boast 15%. While I could not admit it to myself, growing up in a diverse community may have made me sheltered in the sense that I didn't know what to expect when I was no longer in a hub of people who grew up understanding everyone's differences.

The best decision I made that summer before college was to arrive about a week early. It hurt to leave my family sooner than I had to, but there was a chance that a very unique pre-orientation program would be able to orient me better as I kicked off my college career. The Connections Program guides students from underrepresented backgrounds through the university's dynamic and introduces students to the available campus and off-campus resources. While we were introduced to valuable services such as academic advising, student development and counseling, and career development through the school offices, I can see now that one of our greatest resources was each other.

The people I met during Connections week my freshman year have proved to be the family that stood by me throughout college's harshest challenges. From the day we moved in, we instantly helped each other feel welcome. I had found my first home. Once the general new student orientation began, I felt twice as confident as I would have felt had I not found my tribe before meeting the rest of our class. While we have also bonded with other students that did not participate in Connections, I am grateful for those first few friends that put an end to my negativity and worry.

While I don't always tell this part of the story, it highlights the difference that Connections made in my life. I was diagnosed with a major depressive disorder and general anxiety in the latter half of high school. I believe the main causes to be an extreme fear of the unknown as college approached paired with the pressure that comes with "feeling judged" for everything I did, from grades and activities to clothes and ethnicity. Pioneering the college process for my family was something I took pride in, but also something that made me so completely overwhelmed that I lost sight of my individuality and fell into a dark place at a young age. Immersing myself in an encouraging environment with authentically spirited people played a huge role in my healing process. Many of the doubts that contained my potential in high school were diluted by my new reality. Not only did I meet loyal people and best friends, I was enabled to pursue the life I had dreamed of before my depression had set in.

We all have that story about how we met our best friends in college. It only took time to see that everyone is capable of finding their tribe inspire you when you're at your lowest. I was honored to have helped more students find their pack by returning to the Connections Program as a Peer Advisor (PA). Seven amazing individuals came together in my PA group, and I have seen their friendships expand within the last term. My hope is that through more programs similar to Connections, we can close that gap of uncertainty that many underrepresented students may have prior to attending college. Connections has brought me a network of friends that aspire to be professionals and professional alumni who, in time, can become friends. Connections showed me how it is not impossible to make friends, achieve goals, and flourish in a new environment as a first-generation college student. But, most importantly, Connections has empowered us all to conquer our fears in attainment of our dreams and contribution to humanity.