Life In The Fast Lane: Confessions Of A Fast Walkaholic

The sidewalk should have two lanes; one for me and the other for slow walkers.

26

Having been given the gift of being a fast walker can be seen as a blessing and a curse. I can get to class much faster and walking longer distances isn't too big of a deal. Because I walk so fast, I sometimes feel as if I do not need a workout that day because of the brisk walking. Additionally, I save time by walking fast, and I have more time to do other things. I am not wasting much time walking to and from different places. I also stay warmer when walking in cold weather because I spend less time outside and the fast movements keep my body warmer. I get confused when people walk so slowly when it is freezing outside.

There are two sides to every coin, and my fast walking could be seen as having negative aspects as well. When I walk with people who cannot walk as fast, it is hard to stay at their pace, and they struggle to keep up with me, too. It gets a little awkward sometimes. Some people jokingly ask me, "Where's the fire?" or "Whats the rush?"

Also, it sometimes feels as if the world is against me as a slow walker because it seems as if I always get stuck behind slower walkers. "Why do bad things happen to good people?" I ask myself as I try to walk around them. Side note: it also seems as if all slow walkers walk in large groups and/or swerve when they walk, making it nearly impossible to get past them. I've gotten fairly good at bobbing and weaving through large crowds, though.

Fast walking is recognized around the world, as it is actually an Olympic sport! It goes by the name Racewalking. The Olympics have two competitions for Racewalking; one is the 20 kilometers race, open to men and women, and the 50 kilometers race, which is only open to men. The rules are quite simple: each racer must keep both feet on the ground at all times; otherwise, it is considered running. I guess that since I am a fast walker, I can consider myself an athlete! It works that way, right?

Some people like to take slow, leisurely walks, whereas others (myself included) prefer to take nice, brisk walks. To each his or her own. You can take your time, just please, move out of my way when I am quickly walking by.