I Was Wrong About My Opinion On Confederate Monuments
Politics

It is our responsibility, as citizens, to stand up and boldly declare hate has no place here.

26
Wikimedia

Dear Readers,

I am sorry. I was wrong.

A few months ago, I wrote an article expressing my support to leave confederate monuments where they are.

I am writing this article to retract my support and offer an explanation for my change of heart.

When the first article was written, there was no violence breaking out in our nation.

Sure, there were protests, but nothing, nothing like Charlottesville. My perspective was that of a history major, and honestly?

I feared removing the monuments. I feared their removal because I was concerned about removing part of our history. Regardless of whether our history is favorable or not, I believe it should be preserved for posterity.

But I have come to the conclusion that there are better ways to preserve these monuments.

When these monuments give terrorist organizations like neo-Nazis and Klansmen to make violent, public appearances, to incite hate, and even kill an innocent peaceful protester, they have no place standing in our cities.

The remaining confederate monuments in the U.S. should remain in the U.S. - in a museum.

Our country is currently in a volatile state.

We are being governed by a man who has no place being president, who somehow believes that "both sides" share culpability in the ongoing spree of hate crimes, and who - through his words and actions - is allowing domestic terrorists to become emboldened.

And so, I apologize for my previous article and retract the sentiments expressed in it. While I in no way support these acts of terrorism - I deplore them - my previous article implies my complicity in current hate crimes, and I want to make it very clear that is not the case.

I do not support the current administration. I do not support hate. I do not support the current confederate monuments in the U.S.

Thank you for taking the time to read my retraction, and for helping me to understand the truth behind the monuments causing so much turmoil in, what I still believe to be a great nation.

Sincerely and Lovingly Yours,

Anna